U.S. to North Korean leader: No iPods for you!

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Nov 29, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: News and Press Releases
    Link: U.S. to North Korean leader: No iPods for you!
    Description:: The U.S. government's first-ever effort to use trade sanctions to personally aggravate a foreign president expressly targets items believed to be favored by Kim Jong Il or presented by him as gifts to the roughly 600 loyalist families who run his communist nation.

Kim, who engineered a secret nuclear weapons program, has other options for obtaining the high-end consumer electronics and other items he wants.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors member

icsedge1

yup...if they took my iPod from me, i would quit building that thermo-nuclear device i got stashed in my basement.

ummm...i mean, ahhh...never mind.

oh damn...serious looking men in black suits at the door. guess i got to go.

Sedge

3. macrumors 6502a

Passante

4. macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    That would be seen as an act of war.

5. macrumors member

icsedge1

where did you think i intended to use that device in my basement? :rolleyes:

Sedge

6. macrumors member

icsedge1

actually, that's brilliant! the guy is 3/4 nuts already, trying to get the Zune software to install correctly will almost certainly make him 100% certifiable. then he will be deposed, the new leadership will realize the always starving populace wants real change, and NK and SK will unify, bringing peace to the Korean Peninsula without firing a shot. genius!

Sedge

7. macrumors regular

jephrey

So you're saying there's a use for the zune?

;)

J

8. macrumors 68030

princealfie

regime change... oooooooo.

9. Guest

ppc_michael

I wonder what it feels like to know you're the creator of a device that is enjoyed by an evil dictator?

10. macrumors 603

Rocketman

I was thinking of this today.

All he is going to do is have one of his spies load his iPod in the USA and Fedex it to him.

Same with all the other banned goods. This is window dressing.

It probably annoys him anyway, Fine.

Rocketman

11. macrumors 65816

freebooter

Bloated bureaucracy at work, doing the easy, showy stuff while powerless to undertake useful, hard tasks. Like the cops who bust people for smoking pot, when crack and crystal meth pours into the city.

12. macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Too funny. North Korea is nuclear-ready. I think with their level of technology, they could smuggle in whatever it is that their glorious leader requires. :)

13. macrumors 68040

shamino

An amusing line from the article: "He ... likes films about James Bond and Godzilla".

I might even pay to see a film with James Bond and Godzilla together :)

Probably the same as you would as the creator of a device that is enjoyed by everybody in the world, including those few people who happen to be evil dictators.

You don't think Customs inspects FedEx packages destined for prohibited nations?

The article says that bans on small personal electronic items are pointless, because they're sold everywhere and are easily carried and hidden. Those are mostly symbolic.

Bans on larger items that are harder to hide in a pocket (like jetskis) will probably hold. If the dictator is actually giving these to people in order to buy obedience, then the ban may have a small impact.

And, as you said, it will annoy him. I'm all for annoying evil people.

14. macrumors regular

I highly doubt FedEx would deliver to Pyongyang in the first place.

15. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Don't forget kiddies the Chinese could just smuggle some across the border, they are built there ya know!

16. macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

Or he'd use his nukes thinking the zune was some kind of conspiracy against him.

Or copy it.