U.S. Tries to Stop a Key Iraqi Official From Embarrassing Bush

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Oct 3, 2003.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-chalabi3oct03,1,6085986.story

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This sounds like an admission that much of the "intelligence" on WMDs was bunk this power-hungry con artist was feeding to his mark. And, like most cons, the person being conned wants to believe what the con artist is saying so badly they are willing to suspend critical thought.

3. toontra macrumors 6502

Also sounds like the WH are trying to blame the intelligence fiasco on one or two individuals.

They shouldn't be allowed to get off that easily. If the guy was spouting nonsense, then why wasn't this detected far sooner, or was it (as mactastic rightly supposes) because they were prepared to listen to con men like this when he was saying what they wanted to hear.

In any event, the fact that people like Chalabi have been inserted in positions of power in Iraq does not bode well for the future of the country.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

so we have chalabi, exiled for decades, trying to restore a "democratic" gov't in iraq. one in which he'd have a prominent position, no doubt.

he waits, he waits, then bush gets elected. he finally has a sympathetic ear. he tells bush what he wants to hear, gets him all worked up about the threat of hussein, tells him he knows how to install a democratic gov't, and bush orders a war.

now all chalabi has to do is be the man who got the americans to leave iraq, and he's gold.

clever man, that chalabi.

5. JackStorm macrumors newbie

Not many people trusted Chalabi (that would include the Iraqi's themselfs) I can't for the life of me understand why the pentagon wanted this man in a possition of power. And I feel that under NO circumstances should they give more power to the Governing Council, a man like chalabi is dangerous, and he could very well try and pull something if the adminsitration isn't careful with him.

6. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Two reasons: he hated Saddam Hussein and he gave the impression that he was "West-friendly." They thought they could control him and that he would help squelch the pro-Saddam resistance groups that would enivitably crop up after the war.

I agree. Now that we have destabalized the government, we can't just hand over control to a bunch of random Iraqis. If we did, the current situation in Afghanistan would be repeated. Warlords and corrupt politicians would run the country and they would be no better off than they were under Saddam.

But this is one of the many reasons why I was against the war in the first place. In order to restore proper order requires a huge commitment. And this commitment isn't gauranteed to please the Iraqi people. We could very well end up in a quagmire where, in order to restore order to the country, we must stay and direct and monitor the actions of the government, but every day we stay breeds a greater resentment of the US within the Iraqi people which may lead to increased instability.

Of course, I don't know this will happen. But I think signs are pointing that way right now.

Taft

7. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The administration could get into a real pickle over this one. Chalabi was after all the Pentagon's designated "man in Iraq," and was plucked out of obscurity to play this part despite his shadowy past. Now they're trying to shorten his chain when he doesn't behave as expected. Good luck.

Chalabi reminds me a bit of Gary Trudeau's "Uncle Duke" character -- or is it the other way round?

8. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

- IJ Reilly

The more I see stories like this, the more the Bush Administration reminds me of the tactics and philosophy of a certain software company located in the Pacific Northwest:

-If you cannot play along, shut up. (the above article)
    -If you don't shut up, we'll bleed you with FUD (Joseph Wilson's wife being outed as a result of the Nigeria admission shooting Bush's SoTU in the feet)
    -Don't provide us ideas, we're smarter and know what you need better than you, we'll tell you how to think. (Wesley Clarks treatment when he enquired about joining the Republican party last winter - result: He joined the Democratic)
    -If things go wrong by using our ideas, it's your execution at fault, not our idea. (the invasion of Iraq)
    -We're an exclusive country club - you can only belong if you march in lock step, or give loads of cash. (The current oil contracts in Iraq, but also the 'play dead' on the Microsoft Antitrust trial)

At least we can vote these guys out.

Let's all register please!

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

friggin' starbucks...

10. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

The truth is finally out -- it was all those lousy caramel machiattos that had the Pentagon planners in a sugar/caffeine daze that made them see those WMDs. Could be a new variation on the Dan White "twinkie" defense. Hey, it worked for him!

Now, if Chalabi keeps this up I may have upgrade him in my book from low-life scum to clever low-life scum.