U.S. vetoes U.N. resolution condemning Israel

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by clevin, Nov 11, 2006.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15669013/
    with this attitude, arabic people hardly has reason to NOT against US+isreal.

2. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Geez, I wonder if the US would still Veto if we substitute "israel" for "the arabs" :rolleyes:.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

wtf was the UN doing in pushing for this vote? the veto can't be a surprise, and bolton won't be around forever. at least with a new rep, there'd be a chance. or am i just kidding myself?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Grrr, I hate it when actions taken in international politics are biased and politically motivated!!! :mad: :mad: :rolleyes:

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Perhaps they should have left Israel alone, Its the same old story,attack Israel then cry when you get your Butt kicked. Leave them alone and they will leave alone the Arab,Muslims and others. Why doesnt the U.N. pass something on the ones who started this one? Hezbolla & Iran started this but lets blame Israel. I dont blame Israel for going after the ones shooting rockets at civilians. Leave Israel alone & live in peace........to much to ask?

6. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

zim, I don't think Bolton decides which way to vote on these things, they are set by administration policy. He only makes it worse with his belligerent tone towards any nation which disagrees with the US.

I not sure how the architects of this policy can believe that defending Israel's position, which includes the murder of 19 innocents at Beit Hanoun through indiscriminate shelling, can help win any support in the Arab world. My guess is that the US policy-makers have decided the best way to win Arab and Muslim friends is through killing the ones who disagree.

I wonder why we are losing? :rolleyes:

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Um, Israel is occupying Palestinian lands. Who should leave whom alone? Would you?

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If you can call it "policy".

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

And we are occupying Indian lands, you take that route you can go back forever plus didnt God give them those lands a few thousand years ago? Anyways somebody is allways using the Jews for an excuse, Saddam,Hitler,Iran,Egypt,Syria,. I wonder who these guys would hate if there wasnt a Israel? Woman? The moon?

10. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

So when the majority of the world's governments, through the UN, obviously thinks Israel is in the wrong here, you ask why the f*** do they push for this vote.

In many cases regarding Israel, the only country to speak of that agree with Israel's policy is the USA. Does that not make you stop and think for a second that the others might just have a point?

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Again if they werent kidnapping soldiers, not lobbing rockets into Israel non of this would have occured. You going to start something you better be prepared for the consequence. What are U.N resolutions for anyways except for P.R.? Its all for show.

12. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

israel has a bunch of arabic prisoners in their prison for decades, does it count as "governmental kidnapping"?
    the creation of israel in middle east was a mistake at first place, and the continuing bloodshed will not produce anything.
    Clinton said that israel-palestine relationship is the cause of half of problems in middle-east, which is accurate and totally true, as long as the state of Palestine couldnt be established, the problem won't be resolved. Pushing for a democratic election while denouncing the result of democratic election produced a perfect trap that has no way out, this is ridiculous.

13. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Do you think that the Palestinians Kidnap Soldiers just for Having fun? Do you think that Palestinians blow themselves up for sheer entertainment?. They are doing so because the Israelis made the Palestinians' lives so F***ing miserable. For years, Palestinians have been harassed, their homes destroyed, thrown into prisons (still going on BTW). I find it really funny that the whole media catches up when a couple of "Soldiers" are kidnapped, but when 7-members of the same Palestinian family are slaughtered on a beach you hear nothing but silence.

14. bemylover macrumors regular

The UN Security Council has become a place where its members trade resolutions against their enemies with each other. US did not agree to that resolution the same way as Russia and China would veto anything against Iran or North Korea unless they are offered something in return.

How do you think US could pass the last resolution against NK(after those tested their nuke)? For that US agreed to pass an EXTREMELY unjust, Russian prepared, resolution against US ally Georgia.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You should study up on the history of Israel a little more. the palestinians should leave israel alone.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Oh I have, both ancient and modern. Perhaps you should read a few reports about conditions in Gaza and the curiously-named "OCCUPIED TERRITORIES".

17. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

The reason is Arab League has decided to lay groundwork as Israel is the villian.

No matter the history of Israel/Palistine area. The arabs want western world to ignore that they were shipping massive amounts of Arms into the area. like they did before with Lebanon.

They were putting weapons to stage attacks on Israel from gaza area. Then they didnt like the defensive measures Israel was taking.

this whole situation is very loaded and things arent what they seem.

Israel, a place i have never been to, is a place where they have true democracy, individual freedom. Hell there was even a gay parade yearly.

try and see that in any of the nations attacking them. you won't!

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You cannot ignore the history, much as you'd like to.

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm not saying that the UN is being useless, i'm saying they might have delayed the vote until bolton was replaced, with the hope that the US might not veto.

sayhey is probably correct that, so long as bush is making policy, it doesn't matter who's wearing the suit. but the UN can't know that for certain, whereas they could be certain that the US would veto as they did.

i do leave room for the situation where, knowing a veto would come, the UN is making a point. and that point has indeed not escaped me, intended or not.

20. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Oh, right... I got you completely wrong then. I assume now that Bolton is a republican that will be replaced because of the recent election? I just didn't get the last half of your post since I didn't know who this Bolton guy was (even though it says in the article :eek:).

I suppose the UN had to push for the vote now because it's about condemning the attacks that happened recently. I suppose atrocities have to be condemned as they happen.

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

he's the US representative to the UN, but he was never confirmed by the US senate. the democrats successfully filibustered bolton's nomination, so bush installed bolton via a recess appointment sometime in 2005.

bush knows the democrat-controlled senate would never confirm him, so this week bush started pushing for the lame duck senate to do so. but he got resistance from republican lincoln chafee, who lost his re-election bid last week. i think that was a stand-up think for chafee to do.

so, it's not because he's a republican that bolton will be replaced, but because he's the wrong man for the job and the dems won't confirm him. bush and the senate will have to work together to find someone who will pass muster.

22. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The people of palistine sure are.

23. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Do you have actual thought-out points to make or do you just like to lob grenades?

24. toontra macrumors 6502

There's wrong on both sides, but Israel does itself no favours when it litters the south of Lebanon with tens of thousands of cluster bombs in the 2-3 days prior to it's withdrawal in the summer. Acts such as these are war crimes IMO, out of any proportion by way of response to the home-made, almost entirely off-target rockets fired into Israel. Both tactics are aimed at de-stabilising civilian populations - the cost in terms of lives/injuries is probably in the region of 100:1. The fact that cluster bombs are currently in line to be banned shows the international disgust for their use in this way.

BTW, interesting to note that Israel's "friends" the US are also one of the few countries opposed to banning cluster bombs - LINK

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You must be new here. ;)