Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNeXT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
I'm sorry if this has been said before, but I don't feel like reading trough the whole page 1 discussion.

I personally think the U2 iPod is ugly. Also, I don't like U2 but that doesn't matter. I can't imagine the U2 iPod will be very popular. Which non-die-hard-U2-fan would want an iPod with those signatures etched on the back?

Here is what I think: They want to get rid of the 20GB 4th generation iPods because they have new ones, and there are going to be more new iPod models in the near future. This assumption is backed by the fact that you can get the 20 GB 4G iPod really cheaply right now, with the cram&jam offer.

But, they have a lot of these in stock, probably too much for all of them to be gotten rid of with the c&j offer. Therefore they took a bunch of them, and they replaced the white housings with U2 ones. Altough they won't sell much of them, they can be sure they will sell some of them, to the real U2 fans which are certainly out there.

If they don't sell all of them, they'll dump the remaining ones for a nice price. They've already shown they're willing to lose some profit on these models with the c&j offer.

What do you think?

extremo

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2004
MN
The cram and jam offer has already ended... and the 4G ipods were just released a few monthes ago, so I doubt apple has new ones. Even if Apple was trying to flush out the 20gb ones, they wouldn't spend the money on making them a special color.

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
What do you think?

I think your wrong.

But, they have a lot of these in stock, probably too much for all of them to be gotten rid of with the c&j offer. Therefore they took a bunch of them, and they replaced the white housings with U2 one

I really, really doubt that process is as simple as you make it out to be. Producing the U2 iPod would be enough effort in terms of paperwork alone (ever tried entering a relationship with one of the worlds biggest selling bands?), let alone the physical creation of the new housing et al, to make it economically viable in terms of simply reducing the losses incurred through iPod sales (or lack thereof). That's assuming Apple actually HAVEN'T sold their quota of iPods. Certainly, I can't see them getting the amount of units required for the market so badly wrong as to warrant the creation of a new iPod to offset punitary losses. I'd be willing to bet Apple can forecast iPod demand pretty darn well by now...

Just my opinion!

andy.

agentmouthwash

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2003
to each his own.
I really love the red and black ipods. I'm not a big U2 fan
so I won't pick one up, but if they did release a non-u2 one
at a 40gb or 60 gb size, i would get one in a second.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I disagree as well.

I think the 20 gig iPod is going to be HUGELY succesfull, esp around Christmas time.

I think Apple is a growing digital music company, and the chance to work with an established group such as U2 was of interest to the company. It will help to est./continue a solid relationship with artists, and will utimately lead to better products.

I think the U2 iPod was more about the experience than selling more iPods.

Solafaa

macrumors 6502a
I love the U2 iPod so much that i got 3 of them, 1 for me, 1 for my girlfriend and the last one is for my best friend. I am no fan of U2 i cant name 1 song of there but i love the new black iPod it really looks nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.