U2 iPod

Discussion in 'Community' started by jxyama, Oct 27, 2004.

1. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

the main thread is now like 100 pages long, so i was just curious about the reaction of other people more specifically to the U2 iPod.

i've been listening to U2 since HS, almost 15 years ago now, starting with the Joshua Tree before migrating back to Unforgettable Fire then getting back to "present" with Achtung Baby.

personally, U2 is one of those "it" bands... it has appealed, whether you like it or not, to different audience over time. i personally don't like the look of U2 iPod but i do like the idea they are trying to sell. (it is expensive, but i guess it is "limited edition" sort of thing...) i imagine that a lot of young fans, who will be buying iPods, do not know much of U2 before Achtung Baby... some of them possibly not knowing beyond the last album, All that You Can't Leave Behind. so for them to have the chance to listen to great stuff they put out, Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire being my personal favorites, but i also like Rattle and Hum (which may be a bit underrated, imo), October and Boy...

i also like the fact iPod commercials have the darkness removed from the shillouette so that you can see the band members... i mean, apple paid those guys quite a sum, right? they might as well make use of their popularity...

what do you guys think?

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I'm still a little undecided on the U2 iPod. I love that it is black, that's really cool. But i can't decide if I like the red scroll wheel. I guess i wouldn't mind having it and the red wheel wouldn't really bother me. But it doesn't really do it for me either.

Aside from the asthetics. I think Apple made a great move in teaming up with U2. Like you said they are one of those bands that are popular with just about every age group. i can't really think of any other bands that could fit that bill right now. This way Apple is releasing a special edition product that has a wide range of interested parties. That is really essential if they are going to dramatically alter the iPod design (to cover retooling costs). I don't think that there is really anybody else that has that broad of an appeal right now.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I would have already bought one if it weren't for the price point; I had planned on it upon hearing the rumours.

With edu. discount pricing, I just can't justify not spending $40 more and moving up to the 40GB iPod (or saving $60 and going with the regular 20GB).

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think it's ugly as hell. Red & black is fugly, and who gives a monkeys about their sigs being etched in to the back of them, it's worthless :rolleyes:

5. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I can agree that it's not a bad band with which to have that righteous association, but the iPod itself looks seriously unispired.

I can only imagine it looks better in person, cos it shoe aint floating my goat right now ..... :(

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i like the black-red combination ...
    i would buy such a colour combination (even for something like 15-20 bucks more) but i can't stand U2 ...i never found them appealing to me

but to round up this ipod upa red back light to the display would have been better

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

If it would have been all black or black and grey, I might be more tempted.

But "worthless" isn't my feeling so much as not a very wise use of $.

Black Apple products are so few and far between (Mac TV, Performa 5420) that I thought this'd be a collectible, but the red throws it off.

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

While I don't like the red and black, it's understandable why they chose it when signing up U2.

The extra price essentially covers the $50 off "The Complete U2," so if you're planning to buy that and you're a U2 fan, then it's a good deal.

Of course, since they've engraved their signatures, you can't custom engrave it.

On the other hand, maybe it won't be so prone to theft since it will be awhile before it's as immediately recognizable.

9. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

it would of been awsome if it didnt have their names engraved into it and the fat u2 logo..... otherwise new colors are always sweet.... :eek:

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

ditto.

Black could be okay, but (1) it doesn't fit apple's style and (2) with red it looks cheesy and ugly.

scem0

11. Aragorn macrumors newbie

Just wanted to let you guys know that the reason that the colors are black with red is because that is what the new U2 cd cover looks like, it was more designed by U2 then by apple

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, what's with this "price point" thing? Not to sabotage the thread, but for some weird reason this phrase annoys me. Why add the 'point'? Its not going to change anytime soon, so its the price, not price point.

I'm not singling you out pseudorbit - selling our house recently the price is a price point according to the agent....bleh

Anyway - originally when I heard about the U2 iPod I thought the idea was great- then I saw it

The red wheel is hideous.....I'd have preferred an all black model myself.

And I'd love to have seen the U2 songs on the iPod when it arrived rather than a coupon for a discount.

AFAIC - both the U2 iPod and the iPod Photo are huge steps backward for Apple - what were they thinking? :rolleyes: :(

Thinking about this a little more as I stare into my glass of red wine - they could have made it look a lot better (at least from my perspective) if they had softened the red wheel a bit - see photoshopping below.

With the full lunar eclipse tonight, I'm really partial to the one on the right :D

D

Attached Files:

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Hear, hear on the "price point" issue. Please let it die a natural death.

I don't like the colors of the U2 iPod, I think black and gray would have been better but I think the sigs on the back is a neat idea. All in all it is pretty understated design wise although some of HP's tattoos could probably have the same general effect.

I can't think of any single group that would make me buy a branded iPod although the individual design could be a major factor.

The photoPod is great. Too expensive for me now but in two years or so it'll be cheap enough to be affordable and will have enough features to make it worthwhile. I get the impression that it was rushed to market for the Christmas season and that early next year it will see major improvements. At 60% of the cost of an iBook it is a pretty spendy toy.

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Where did this phrase come from anyway?

And I never really realized that the iPod Photo was 60% the cost of a low end iBook - I'd rather have the iBook, then. It would be a lot bigger, but it would work much better as a DSLR image storage device :D

D

15. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

As a kid, i insisted on my bedroom being in Black / Red / Grey colours in the 80s.

Now, i greatly regret this. The u2 ipod either looks bold and vaguely Soviet-esque. Or, very harsh and ugly

16. sebisworld macrumors 6502

Yeah,a nd plain white would be cool too. Like without that gray click-wheel.

17. sebisworld macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if it really has a backlight clickwheel? And why oh why are the photo iPods twice as heavy...

BTW, I cant edit my posts and I get an error when posting, even though it posts just fine.

18. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

That's been the predominant U2 corporate color scheme forever, and their current merchandise features a red/black target logo, so it sort of makes sense in context.

19. takao macrumors 68040

takao

anybody saw today's 'userfriendly' ?

i was very amused ;)
    linky

(it doesn't really have to do with the U2 ipod but i stil lthink it's worth posting ;) )

edit: it looks like posting the pic doesn't work... ;)

20. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

For everyone who'd like to see a black-and-grey iPod color scheme: the Daring Fireball limited edition iPod. :D

I think this would also look neat with the site's star logo on the Select button, but maybe that's just me (as so many things are).

21. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....well, I like the black-red combo and would be tempted to upgrade my old 5gb pod but I really can't stand the over-inflated egos (and the music) of U2 so the $50 premium for this pod is not worth it to me, unless perhaps I could sell that coupon and convince myself to never look at the backside of the ipod and see that U2 crap.....oh yeah!

22. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

-Thanks for calling to apple technical support, what can I do for you?

-Err, Hi,. look I got one of your new iPods and it came with a lot of scratches, I really can understand that it happens in a couple of months, but just out of the box?

-ohh, I'm sorry sir, we will manage to send you a new one, btw, which model did you get?

-The one you released last week, the black and red one.

-oh!, Er, Sir?

:)

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's a retail thing. Its the price around which people wouldn't mind paying for a very particular item.

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^I'm going to have to comment on that post....."WTF?"