U2 Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by krossfyter, Dec 14, 2002.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

someone needed to make a thread for this kick a band.

best band in the world in my opinion.

rock

Bono... is the shizz

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

agreed of course.

'pop' was so ahead of its time its not even funny. just look around at the music industry of today and have another listen.

4. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I like '90s U2 a lot. Not a big fan of their '80s stuff or their '00 stuff. Pop was fantastic. ATYCLB had me putting a pillow over my ears.

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

funny thing is... pop was their "bad" album that "no one" liked... blah

alex-... what don't you like about all that you can't... there are a couple songs i wasn't huge on. but for the most part... amazing...

6. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I think there was way too much Bono crooning on ATYCLB. Beautiful Day was good... New York was good, and it's spooky how it came out about 12 months before it should have. On the other hand, Stuck in a Moment made me want to kill the nearest Irishman. Elevation was sooo bad, the lyrics were just beyond dumb and it sounded like the Edge was playing an electric fart machine, not an electric guitar. The rest of the songs were "okay" to me. A little too overproduced. And I don't like how they used the momentum from that album to sell out every opportunity they could, from the Super Bowl to playing TRL.

I saw them in concert in 2001 and it made me wish I hadn't missed PopMart, which was such a better show (judging by the Mexico City video).

7. BenderBot1138 macrumors 6502

U2 = The real future band from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure...

Is it getting better? Or do you feel the same thing?

:cool:

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yeah. elevation and stuck in a moment are the weak points in my mind also.

however, kite, and walk on... are amazing in my opinion.

as for the show... where were you?

down on the ground, it was quite amazing. yeah, it's annoying to have the girls going crazy for bono and all that. but he seemed happy as crap. and like he was enjoying himself greatly. as opposed to going through some motions.

that said, i loved the popmart show too... the last tour was kinda more "intimate" i guess... i saw em about 3 times on the ground and another 2 times from the stands... and the ground was definitely more impressive. though experiencing both is nice, just getting all the perspectives...

9. DrGrip84 macrumors newbie

U2 owns you!

Yes, Walk On was *the best* song on the last album.

The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby still blow my mind every time I listen to them. Zooropa and Pop were VERY underrated, and misunderstood. They are both excellent albums as well.

Have you guys heard/liked the two new songs on the recent "Best Of: 1990-2000"? I think Electrical Storm is awesome. The other song (the new theme from Gangs of New York) is okay I think.

Supposedly a new album should be out in summer 2003. Can't wait! I'd love to see them again! Elevation Tour was the best concert I've ever been to. :cool:

10. diorio macrumors 6502a

Yes U2 is my favorite band. Beautiful Day, Walk on, New York, were my favorite songs on that album but I liked all of them really.

11. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Bono was definitely enjoying himself greatly, as he always has. I enjoyed watching him run around the heart 4 times during WTSHNN and then nearly collapse from exhaustion. :) I also love how all the thick pro-gun people in the audience saw that Charlton Heston video bit and went, "Yeah!"

I set my alarm for 10:00am or whatever it was to get up the moment the tickets went on sale, but then when 10:00am came, I woke up and said to myself "I don't care if it's John Lennon back from the dead, I am NOT getting up at 10:00am on a Sunday to buy tickets for a concert." So I ended up sitting in the stands, behind the stage (7th row). I had the best view of Bono's new mullet (which was dripping with sweat after about the 2nd song) in the house.

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

oh yeah... i hear ya on hypocrisy on the crowds...

i like this band called sense field a ton... they have recently gotten a bit bigger, and with that, comes the teen crowd.... and of course frat bros.

so, they have a song about not getting it on... called "save yourself"... not just sleeping it up with anyone.... and i love seeing all these frat bros and sorority skanks singing along to that song.... and then heading home, finishing off the keg, and getting some serious schwerve

but. i digress....

13. macmax macrumors regular

i love their 80's thing.
    got to hear new year's day, what a song.
    The last album didn't really cut it for me, but i like them

14. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

man ALL the songs on ATYCLB are amazing to me.

thier elevation show was phenominal.

best concert ive been to

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

"With or Without You" is my most favoritest song EVER. I sing it at karaoke, and try to do it justice (dunno, everyone claps. But they clap when that drunken old guy sings, too). Still makes me all teary eyed, thinking of my ex-girlfriend.

That lying, cheating, bitc... okay, so I'm remember the good times we had together (there were some).

I still love U2.

16. rdas7 macrumors regular

rdas7

Re: Elevation lyrics sucked

Elevation lyrics sucked.

Here was a guy who 10 years before sang, "I can't believe the news today... I can't close my eyes and make it go away" (Sunday Bloody Sunday) and "We're one, but not the same" (One) to:

A mole

Digging in a hole

Got no self...

control

Makes you want your $10 back...

On the other hand, they are my favorite band of all time and being in the heart during "Elevation" in Paris was just something ELSE entirely.

Off with the horns, on with the show...

17. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i resent that comment about elevation lyrics sucking... or the elevation song sucking period.

dont you frekin know that Bono can do no wrong when it comes to lyrics!

dont you know that U2 is a way more mature band then they were 10 years ago!

dont you know that "a mole diggin in a hole/got no self control now goin down elevation" is way more profound then you are percieveing it to be!

U2 is perfect

:D

18. rdas7 macrumors regular

rdas7

Of course... how could I have overlooked:

"A star lit up like a cigar
    strung out like a guitar
    maybe you could educate my mind
    explain all these controls
    can't sing, but I've got soul
    the goal
    is elevation"

- I beg to differ. I maintain, The Goal, remains, Rock'n'Roll...

:) but genious indeed, nonetheless. I can't wait to hear the acceptance speech for the Rock'n'Roll hall of fame when he's 90!!! (just remembering when he introduced Sinatra as "The Chairman of the Bad") :)

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the early U2 stuff was so innovative and fresh that i didn't think that the band would remake themselves over and over

when the joshua tree came out, it blew my mind because it was so unlike everything that came before it

and since then, everything that they have done have shown their fans and detractors alike that they were one heck of a versatile band and here to stay

20. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

well said!

they just keep on spitting out fresh stuff... very RARE for a 20+ year old band.