UB Version of Quake III Arena....Wow!

Discussion in 'Games' started by daveporter, Nov 21, 2006.

1. daveporter macrumors regular

The UB version of Quake III Arena runs like a bat-out-of-hell on the mac pro:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/22592

I installed it last night and am running it with the highest levels of all video parameters at 1152X864 moniitor resolution and it is sooooo fast you won't belive it.

If this is an example of what game play will be when the full UB game versions that address the new Intel Mac capabilities, were not going to have to envy the PC guys much longer.

Dave

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Yeah, but Quake III is like what, 7 years old? Really, it ran like a bat of hell on G4s. But you are correct, once developers take full advantage of the intel architecture, macs could be a viable gaming rig, (as long as the game isn't written in direct x).:p

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It always took advantage of everything a Mac could offer and a showcase of how to develop fast software. It made Unreal Tournament look as though it was sitting still but that's been a long time. Graeme Devine no longer works for id software and their latest two were ported to Mac OS X instead of designed for it.

It would be nice if someone had the enthusiasm to make the games better but the way games are written, most anything I have is too slow to run them effectively.

4. daveporter thread starter macrumors regular

I did not make my point very well. What I was trying to say was that the UB version of Quake III now runs at least as fast as it does on a top level PC. I run the PC version of Quake III on this Mac Pro with Boot Camp when I first got the MP. It ran so damn fast that I frequently ran past an opponent and got shot in the back before I noticed what was going on. That was much faster then my P4 3 GHz PC.

No, he UB version on OSX runs just the same as the native PC version did with Boot Camp. That is a major improvement. There is literally no difference.

I realize that Quake III is old technology and does not stress the processor or video systems anywhere near as much as the current generation of games, however, as a benchmark Quake III UB shows that the Intel Macs with UB optimized program is an equal to the PC for gaming overall. That is great news.

Oh and another thing, the Mac Pro is hardly working to accomplish this. I had a large Excel spreadsheet run doing a large calculation while Quake III was running and the Mac Pro never missed a beat.

Dave

5. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Ah, college...

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

It even ran gr8 on my G3 B&W 350 MHz with Voodoo 5!!

Not really surprised it runs pretty well on a Mac Pro.... :D

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

?

I was going to post a response to this, but just ... ? seems appropriate.

8. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

So, what steps would I need to take to run the UB version of Quake 3 on my eMac G4 which currently lacks an OS9 installation? I tried to install the game earlier this week, and it told me I needed Classic Environment. Apparently, this isn't the case if there's a UB version available.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out.

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Seriously, I played QIII on my B&W with the stock Rage128 and it had problems with the CTF levels, but otherwise ran well. I'd expect it to run pretty well on the Mac Pro even with Rosetta.

10. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

Is there a UB version of the Team Arena expansion?

11. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

12. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

13. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Quake III is really fun on my PC too, It gets about 300 FPS at 1600x1200 with everything maxed.