Uber-Streamlined Mommy's Mac help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by whyrichard, Aug 25, 2005.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hi mac community,

I'm trying to streamline my mom's mac so that is easier for her to connect to the internet.

right now it's using dialup through a graphite airport, because the phone line is not near the computer. she has to first click on "connect" in internet connect, and then she clicks on the browserr.

... well, as simple as this sounds, somtimes she forgets the first step and just gives up.

my question is: is there a way to have the airport dialup connection automatically "connect when needed", just as the internal modem can be set to this? also, to "disconnect when idle" --it seems that the computer is never idle, the count down in internet connect makees it a minute before resetting, as if there is internet activity.

thanks!

r.

p.s. she's running tiger

2. belvdr macrumors 601

I am a little confused. If an Airport is doing the dialup, then why use Internet Connect on the client? Isn't this in the Airport config and not the Mac itself?

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I think you use internet connect to actually tell it to dial up. You wouldn't want it always connected.

4. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

thats right, you need to use internet connect to tell the airport to dialup, and then again when you want to disconnect.

so nobody knows if i can have the airport dialup connect and disconnect automatically?

thanks,

r.

5. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Can Automator do it?

Make a workflow that first tells Internet connect to tell Airport to dial up, and then tells Safari to start up?

6. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

automater has got nut'n relat'n to internet connect, and i dum when it comes to applescripting.

hmmm.

but thanks,

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I tried to write you an Applescript, but I can't get it to tell it to dial, and I don't have dial up right now to test it or anything.

You should take her desktop and make an alias of internet connect and safari on it and label them:

Step #1: Double click here and Click Connect
    Step #2: Double click here and type in address

...or something like that.