Ubisoft talks Sony

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, May 10, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

http://www.nintendojo.com/infocus/view_item.php?1147230320

It isn't pleasant either,

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Laugh. That's pretty funny. I wonder if this sort of sentiment in game studios will limit the number of games they make for the PS3/X360... I mean, they can devote ~$20million to one game for those two, or that much for say 4 Wii games. If I were an executive of a big studio I'd be keen to say "ok, you guys take this $20m budget, make a sequel to [fill in last years biggest game]. You guys take this $10m and make me 3 completely new Wii games. If any of those three hit big, we'll spend the extra $10m to revamp the graphics and controlls and port it to the other systems next year."

It's all about minimizing risk and mazimizing profit, right? Seems like there's an awful lot more risk in a new PS3 game than a new Wii one.

3. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Eh, I think Ubisoft makes some pretty crappy games, much like EA. GRAW is the first game from Ubi that has impressed me at all. I like that game a lot. But as a dev, shouldn't he be looking to push the envelope of the current gen systems and pushing them to their max? Making millions off of them?

I think so.

4. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I feel the opposite, Ubisoft games have been the best of breed for the last few years. I really loved Prince of Persia, Beyond Good & Evil, Splinter Cell, etc...

5. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Splinter Cell and Beyond good and evil were just excellent examples of games. Red Steel looks to join them too.

6. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

Not to mention the original Ghost Recon and expansions (for PC, anyway). Superb.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Red steel looks like crap....ubisoft have a good number of games that i play but i don't know what this guy is talking about...still won't affect sony because they still will make game for sony.

Bless

8. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Red Steel looks OK. I mean, the GTA crowd should eat it up... the graphics seem pretty decent, all things considered, and the control scheme is probably what every Wii FPS will be modeled on and compared to, until Metroid 3 comes out. The actual game itself just looks boring. The art direction is a huge *yawn*, it doesn't seem to have much personality (again, the GTA crowd doesn't seem to put much stock in a games personality) and the style of the game seems very Max Payne, which isn't a bad thing per se, but an old thing at the least.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^ The Game seemed very dull nothing of interest....but the controls looked tight thanks to the Wiimote. it reminds me of dead to rights.

Bless

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well it all depends how you look at games or what you have read about it before etc.

i liked red steel because of controls and because i thought the art direction fits the story nicely (i think max payne might be a good comparisation)

another footage i watched today which completely caught me offguard was the Viva Pinata videos (i only saw the ign stuff) and i was surprised how much i liked it: the whole art and and all those animations here and there and characters where quite impressive ... if i had a 360 i would buy that

on the other side the Gears of War footage i watched left me kinda bored: absolutley gorgeous graphics but through all the 5 small videos nothing really caught my mind essentially it was 1. leap-frogging 2. shot out of cover 3.look where to continue/wait for more enemies out of different door 4. continue
    looked like good,solid action game but hardly a killer game to me but i have no clue about it's story etc.

11. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

idk, at first i was uninterested/unimpressed with red steel, but after watching that video and how well the controls worked, i'm starting to change my mind. The graphics still look better than the fps games i'm playing now, and hopefully the get a little better for the games launch. It may turn out to be crap, but it may become the "goldeneye" for the wii, and at least for now, it's on my list to get.

12. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Improving the visual style of the game would go a long way, in my opinion. It just LOOKS boring. The graphics are fine, not knocking that (nice shadows, good lighting, models look pretty detailed), it's just got no STYLE. Max Payne look similar, but it had some GRIT to the world it was in. This game looks like it's in plastic land, or something. I'm sure as the fine tune the textures, mapping, lighting, etc that it will get better.

A killer multiplayer mode would also improve opinions of it a ton... that's one of the things that made 007 one of the best console FPS to date, despite being close to 10 years old. One thing I hope they do is give us verticle split screen gaming for people using widescreen TVs. Playing split screen Mario Kart with the top and bottom on my widescreen is teh suck. In fact, I would prefer that they split the screen left and right, and then letterboxed it a bit to make each half "normal" TV shaped/sized.

13. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Heh, so I'm the only one looking forward to Red Steel. I totally get the image. It's supposed to be "real", no army's to fight against no super weapons or anything zazz. It feels like they took Max Payne and mixed it with Kill Bill, frankly. 2 things I rather enjoyed.

14. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'll just have to play it to see...

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well you aren't .. there are simply too many games at the moment i'm looking forward to .. try limiting yourself to buying only 3 Wii titles in the launch window... it's gonna be a pain just like on every other console launch to decide which games to buy now and which to buy later

16. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Zelda, Metroid, and Mario... what's so hard about that? :D

17. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Mario Galaxy, Red Steel and Metroid Prime 3.
    If I had those games then I'm sorted.

18. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Heh, just as I say that Joystiq posts this pic of WiiSports Tennis... http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/10/wii-impressions-wii-sports-tennis/

:)

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Is it on the rails? Just the video clip they showed apart from looking seemed very on the rails..... Also what killed the demo was showing the levels in a generic grey bland stair way...

The bit where the guy runs behind the japanese screens looked very good, the difused shadow etc...

It showed a lot of potential to me and the enemies seemed to be animated very well, the way they recoiled and fell looked v.good.

Of those which are Launch titles. I wonder if Mario Galaxy will even be a launch title, the reason I doubt. Simple Mario Sunshine wasnt a launch title and the decision to package Zelda for the wii seperatly as a launch title seems to scream to me, forget seeing Mario or Metroid for a good 6 - 8 months after launch.......

20. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh it's definitely my dream team of games. I doubt they would all be out on launch, certainly 1, maybe 2, certainly not 3.

Red Steel is certainly a full FPS and not a rail shooter though. Looks like it's taken the best of rail shooters (the isolated and sequential enemy fights) and blended it with a less-linear FPS free walk system.