Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neckarb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Hey People,

I've been trying to install Ubuntu 10.10 on my MacBookAir 1,1. I've got a disk drive that works on boot so I can install the operating system but then there is no WiFi, only an ! over the WiFi logo on the top right of the screen.

I've tried enabling proprietary drivers but there are none listed...?

Any suggestions?

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
Hey People,

I've been trying to install Ubuntu 10.10 on my MacBookAir 1,1. I've got a disk drive that works on boot so I can install the operating system but then there is no WiFi, only an ! over the WiFi logo on the top right of the screen.

I've tried enabling proprietary drivers but there are none listed...?

Any suggestions?

Lol I was going to tell you to enable proprietary drivers but you already did that. Go to the ubuntu forums, they'll help uoi out.

.Max.

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2011
United Kindom
I removed Mac a while ago for Ubuntu, But found everything too buggy with the Hardwre so went back to Mac :p Umm.. I had trouble at first but on the Ubuntu site fllow the steps for a regular macbook, I think it's under community docs or something :D

neckarb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Yeah, like the previous guy said, ubuntuforums.org is your best bet. Let us know how ubuntu runs on that, I would be interested.

Why not install Ubuntu inside VirtualBox (et.al.)?

I removed Mac a while ago for Ubuntu, But found everything too buggy with the Hardwre so went back to Mac :p Umm.. I had trouble at first but on the Ubuntu site fllow the steps for a regular macbook, I think it's under community docs or something :D

All good advice, appreciated everyone, but still no luck.

Aside from Ubuntu can anyone recommend a good distro for my Mac? preferably debian based but not necessarily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.