Ubuntu. Have you tried it? Opinions please.

Discussion in 'Community' started by slipper, May 4, 2005.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

who here has actually installed Ubuntulinux on their mac? just curious to how well the OS is. i have a 1.5ghz 12" PB and i was considering trying it, afterall its free. i just installed tiger but i wanted to try linux. is it possible to have Tiger and Linux on the same computer? your recommendations are appreciated.

2. fabsa macrumors newbie

I haven't actually tried it, but a friend of mine installed it on his iBook. There was one big problem why he uninstalled it pretty much right away. Ubuntu didn't know how to control the cpu fan so it the iBook sounded more like an vacuum cleaner than an decently quiet laptop.

Anyway, don't know if there's a way to fix this but just wanted to let you know. :)

3. aspro macrumors 6502

4. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

5. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

As far as Linux on the Mac goes, you might have better luck with YellowDog.

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I used an Ubuntu live CD on my PowerBook and I couldn't get it to go to a screen resolution any higher than 640 x 480. I'd also recommend looking at Yellow Dog linux.

7. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I tried to install it on my G5, but it didn't support the NVidia 6800. Weak.

8. Zaty macrumors 65816

I'm running it on a PC, haven't tried it on a Mac, though. I was impressed how well everything worked. It really is "Linux for Human Beings" (which happens to be their motto). You get a great system for office work but it's painful to install manually dozens of codecs to turn it into a multimedia system. It's a good distro, in fact it's no 1 on distrowatch.com but it's still is Linux. I wouldn't swap my Tiger for it for anything (except for the cash to buy an iMac :))