Ubuntu Linux on a PPC G4 iBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by idkfa, Sep 19, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

Is this possible?

Can I use a "live CD" version of Ubuntu Linux to boot Ubuntu to use as an OS on my Mac?

2. macrumors 6502

Yeah, it works fine as long as you got the PPC build of it. I used it on my iBook. Just as a warning it does take a while to start and loads the entire OS into RAM so be sure that you have a decent amount if you want to get anything done.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!!

Do you happen to have a link, or some direction?

I cannot seem to find exactly what I need, keeping in mind this is the first time I have tried this and would like to get it right the first time.

Cheers.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. :D

4. macrumors 603

Warbrain

Yea, it runs as slow as crap when you run it off the live disc. I'm tempted to partition my HDD and install it.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

I have some questions.

How would it run on Virtual PC 7? I have 1 GB of RAM...

Also, how exactly do you install it in Virtual PC? It asks for a "Proper Boot Disk", even when the Live CD is running.

If I installed Ubuntu on a partition, what would it take to switch between the two?

Thanks.

6. macrumors 601

dpaanlka

It doesn't.

Be careful if you plan on replacing OS X with Ubuntu. Make sure it's really what you want, which it probably isn't unless you have some specific reason for running Linux.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

:D

Thanks.

However, I was not planning on dumping OSX. I was looking to perhaps install it on a USB key so I can test it out some more. I like working in it; less distractions. If I could install a Windows build of it on my USB key, and run it on any Windows machine I want, that would be awesome.

Any advice?

8. macrumors G3

clevin

ubuntu is probably too big to fit on a USB drive, DSL (Damn Small Linux) is only 50Mb, if you wanna try.