Ubuntu Linux

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by furryrabidbunny, Jun 1, 2005.

1. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I just downloaded a live cd version of Ubuntu Linux... and i have to say i am impressed. It loaded fast for being booted off of a CD, and seemed very easy to use. I am actually considering ordering one of their free CDs (yes, you do have to pay for shipping) and doing a dual boot. Most of the apps ran fast even though they were booted from a CD. I would also like to add myself to their marketshare percentage. The only problems i had were minor. I own an eMac, and after shutting down Ubuntu, the kernal ejected the Live CD and shut down, with my CD tray open. The only problem with 10.4 once i logged back in was my mouse settings seemed a lot slower (they were reset to the slow "factory" setting). I would really suggest this distribution to those wanting to try linux, easy, no geek stuff unless you want to try it. It even had an iTunes clone that encoded with OGG vorbes.

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I installed Kubuntu (Ubuntu with KDE instead of Gnome) on my PC last week. It replaced Xandros Linux which I had grown tired of. I like (K)Ubuntu much better. I also downloaded the PPC live CD, and it's indistinguishable from the PC version. For some reason I think it's cool to be able to run the same OS on both a Mac and a PC. The one problem I have with Kubuntu is that it doesn't have gcc and g++ installed by default, so you can't install software from source right out of the box. It took a while to fix it as well because the package manager (Kynaptic) that comes with Kubuntu is awful. I think Ubuntu uses Synaptic, which is much better. They should have built gcc and g++ into the distro though.

Anyway, I don't see a reason to dual boot with OS X because OS X will do just about everything Linux will do and will do it better. I do like Linux better than Windows for the PC I think, other than the lack of available software.

3. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

i just might do the dual boot so i can have the occasional change of pace. My brother in law though has some old pcs he built (200 mhz processors) that might see linux on it if he will give me one, which he has offered before. I couldn't believe how well it ran off of a CD though.