Ubuntu Live CD

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by eroda, Apr 9, 2005.

1. eroda macrumors member

i want to run a live linux cd on my bondi tray loader iMac but the imac doest read burnt cd's so i was wonderign how i can do this i have an external usb iomage CDRW drive but im sure you cannot boot from that.. any suggestions?

and i do not want to buy anything so suggesting to buy somehting else is out of the quesiton

2. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Try booting from your external drive. I don't see why it shouldn't work.

If it doesn't work, you could check out the Ubuntu homepage. You can order pressed CDs there, for Free.

Edit: I've read that you'd probably have to wait for a long time before getting them, though.

3. eroda thread starter macrumors member

explain to me how as ive tried to but have failed

4. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Off-topic: I've actually tried the Ubuntu Live CD in my iMac. But Ubuntu was pathetic (relatively speaking), don't bother wasting to much time on it.

5. Jason_Bryan macrumors regular

I thought the ubuntu Live CD was fine. It gave me an idea of the way ubuntu looks and works. It was slow but then what do you expect from a live CD running on a iBook 500 with 384MB of ram.

6. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Wait why won't your computer boot from burnt CDs? That's weird. I love Ubuntu it is great!!!

-Kevin

7. eroda thread starter macrumors member

its a first gen imac its always hated burnt data cd's

and ubuntu rocks i use it more then any other O/S, its just that you are to macified use the console(terminal) in max os X more use it for everthing

8. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Doesn't the drive show up as in the control panel thingy where you can select your boot drive? (don't remember what it's called in english) Haven't actually tried it myself, since I have no firewire drive of any type.

Ubuntu is very nice, IMO. I've tried the LiveCD on my PC and I liked it very much. Haven't tried it on my Powerbook, but I will soon.

9. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

So... if you're running a first gen iMac, that thing probably has a tough time w/ OS X running well. You should get a CDROM upgrade for like fairly cheap online. Then you should actually just install Ubuntu :). I have it installed on my old iMac, and it is such a great experience. Also... try Kubuntu, the KDE version. It's great too!

-Kevin

10. eroda thread starter macrumors member