Mobile OSs Ubuntu on Android

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by viskon, Feb 1, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

Just for fun, I loaded up Ubuntu on my Galaxy Nexus. I used the Complete Linux Installer app from the Play Store. Kind of cool to have a desktop OS on the phone.

uploadfromtaptalk1359710861739.jpg

2. macrumors regular

Is it actually usable? Doesn't it use VNC?

3. macrumors 68040

Does it work smoothly? What problems have you run into?

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

I only loaded it up to see if it works. It does use VNC for the GUI. There are 3 versions of Ubuntu images that one can load- the core image, which is just core Ubuntu, but does not have a GUI ; the small image, which has a light GUI and a few apps ; and a full image that has the main Ubuntu interface and has apps like OpenOffice. I loaded up the small image, mainly due to space constraints on my GNex.

The small version runs better than I expected it to. I find it pretty smooth, as far as navigation is concerned. It comes with Chromium ( Google Chrome) and Firefox browsers installed. Chromium for me, has been unstable, but Firefox runs very well. I believe it has mouse support ( I could be wrong) . I would love to hook up to a monitor or TV to explore more,but I don't have an HDMI TV or monitor right now.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

All the included apps seem to work well. Chromium seems unstable, but that is about it, so far.

6. viskon, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013

thread starter macrumors 6502

I loaded up the full Ubuntu image on to my GNex and also my HP Touchpad. Seems to work much better on the HP Touchpad than on the GNex. Paired with a keyboard and mouse, I have a feeling this would really suit the newer generation of tablets very well.

Some screen shots below

Attached Files: