Ubuntu on Mac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by iUserz, Aug 18, 2006.

1. iUserz macrumors member

Anybody have experiences with this and care to share? (how it was done, was it easy, etc) I've got a Macbook being shipped to me at the moment and I was originally planning on putting on Windows as the dual boot, but what about Ubuntu? (I've used it before on my PC and it could come in handy seeing as I'm a CS student)

2. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

I ran Ubuntu just fine on a Mac Mini. However, I like SUSE much better.

3. brepublican macrumors 6502a

brepublican

Works beautifully. In fact, you dont even need an Intel Mac since Ubuntu distribute both for PPC and x86

However, I've had no experience with running the x86 installation on an Intel Mac, but I dont see why it shouldn't work. Good luck! :)

EDIT: You might wanna just pop in the ROM and run it from there first (as opposed to doing an install. This option is available)

4. grahamperrin, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014

grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Initial tinkering with Ubuntu to satisfy a person who will switch from OS X

This is not the most recent topic about Ubuntu, but the opening post is closest to what I'd like to discuss, so here goes …

To KALLT, or to anyone else with similar viewpoints of both operating systems:
    • please, can you steer me to maybe two good summary lists of the tinkering involved?

I guess: one summary of tinkering that's necessary, or close to necessary, for Ubuntu to please someone who enjoys Mavericks and will switch from OS X.

Plus one summary of tinkering that might be desirable (but not absolutely necessary).

If it helps to tailor the steering:
    • I'm confident with Terminal and so on
    • I currently use a 2009 MacBookPro5,2 with 8 GB memory (the maximum) and an upgraded internal drive (hybrid – SSHD)
    • I plan to obtain a new Apple notebook, probably another MacBook Pro with the maximum amount of memory, before Yosemite is released
    • I'm already familiar with Ubuntu out-of-the-box (OOTB)
    • I plan to use both ZFS on Linux and encryption for my home directory; I'm more than familiar with ZFS on OS X (ZEVO) so I don't expect to need help with this point.

Thanks

(There's no rush for this. I expect my abandonment of OS X to be gradual.)

5. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Mac-like appearances for Linux

Yesterday, without searching, I stumbled across this:
    From there, today I found more projects of interest:
    Any other suggestions? In the meantime I'll try the .iso

6. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

You could keep OS X as your main OS, install Oracle VirtualBox ( free ) and run Ubuntu as guest OS inside VirtualBox. This would allow you to evaluate Ubuntu without giving up OS X.

7. macenied, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

P.S. From a user perspective - just don't expect that Ubuntu is integrated as seamless as OS X or even Windows on your MacBook. E.g. some configuration tasks can be done with the GUI, some must be done in Terminal using the command line interface. But as a CS student, I expect you know this and can handle it already.

@grahamperrin:

I think Linux is not a very good Desktop Operating System and "endless" tinkering would be needed to come close to OS X. However, if you need an OS for SW development and / or Systems Engineering you will appreciate Linux. Businesses I know use it as a Server OS. Apple investigated years to build OS X on top of BSD Unix, hard to catch up for the voluntary open source community.

8. hrsetrdr macrumors member

hrsetrdr

This is a good idea. However, if you chose to do a dual-boot then you'd want to check out rEFInd, which is a boot manager forked from the original rEFIt project.