Ubuntu on Macbook...Can it overheat, damaging the internal components?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Luigi239, Jun 25, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

Hello all, first I know this isn't a Linux form, and there is not a linux forum, but thought this would be the best place to put this, because I supose it applies to windows as well.

Anyway, I have a CD rev A Macbook, that I just installed Ubuntu with. I love it, but I am afraid one day it will overheat and cause my processor to melt. Is that possible? I have heard that if it gets to hot, that the thing will just shut off, but I don't want to take any chances. So, do you think it is safe to run Ubuntu? Will it kill my components?

2. TBi
    macrumors 68030

TBi

The fan in your laptop is controlled by the firmware so there is no* way that ubuntu can cause your laptop to over heat.

*Unless of course you do something really stupid like tell linux to start overriding the firmware in relation to fan speed. However you'd have to be a really advanced user to know how to do this and more than likely an advanced user would already know the answer to the overheating question :)

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, great, thanks. :)

However, it does seem to get hotter while in Ubuntu. Do you think it would be a bad thing to set the min. fan speed to something around 3000rpm?

4. macrumors newbie

By all means

The only reason why you might want to let the computer control the fans is to save power. If you're connected to an external power source feel free to up the minimum speed. Just remember that others can hear it too :)

5. macrumors member

Don't worry about it. The fan is controlled by the BIOS not the OS. There is no way Ubuntu will make your computer overheat. :)

6. macrumors 6502

BIOS? On a Mac? Since when? ;)