Ubuntu -> OSX Samba Wont Work

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by lilrichie, Apr 25, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

Feb 13, 2007
    Hey Guys,

I have recently setup Ubuntu as my main network server and am trying to configure samba on it to share folders to the entire network, however i am having troubles. It will connect but it wont let me transfer anything.

I thought i would post a bit more info including some screenshots this is the process including how i connect and my config :)

Error 1

Error 2

Error 3

And lastly here is my current smb.conf file.

2. macrumors 68030

Oct 15, 2008
    Welcome to the joys of Open Source Software.

In general, you need to authenticate with a user account against the Samba server that is known by the Samba server and that has sufficient access privileges. In other words, you need to add user accounts to Samba with appropriate read/write privileges. When you connect to the Samba server from your Mac, you have to enter the username and password known on the Samba machine --> and that is not necessarily your Mac user account and password.

The other option is to setup a directory server (LDAP) and authenticate both the Mac and Samba against the directory service; this way, you would have a centralized administration.

Or use a File Server that does not suck: Windows Server 2003. And that is my professional opinion as a network administrator who works in all three worlds (OS X, Linux, Windows).
  3. macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2007
    Are you sure you user account is media?
    I guess you want the path to point to your home folder in which case it should be:

/home/User name/music

here is one of my shares that works well, considering it looks like you kept your smb.conf file pretty standard this should work for you also:

comment = Films
    read only = no
    path = /media/disk
    guest ok = yes

Just realised that you put SMB://lilrichie@IP to connect, you don't have to put lilrichie@ in, it would be ok to just put SMB://IP

Samba is perfectly good to use, and powerful once its set up properly so why would you pay for something that you can get for free? Open-source software is often better than commercial software anyway.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2007
    Another option

Would be to set up NFS on your Ubuntu machine and have the macs automatically mount the NFS share by editing the /etc/fstab on the mac.

There are a billion and one NFS tutorials on the web, so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting that started. It's a shame Microsoft doesn't support NFS and you have to jump through hoops to communicate with their machines.

I guess I should give them some leeway, I know the folks up at Redmond are a little slow, so I guess its to be expected that they don't support a 20 year old protoocol that the entire rest of the planet supports :p