Ugh, ACL Reconstruction

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SummerBreeze, Jun 17, 2006.

1. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

I had surgery to reconstruct a ruptured ACL yesterday :( I tore it a little while ago skiing, and am now deaing with lots of post-op pain.

Has anyone on MR gone through this? I'm wondering about how the recovery period went for you, and what I can expect over the next few weeks.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

3. SummerBreeze thread starter macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

Ah yes, those are nice....except they make me way too dizzy....

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

And do EXACTLY what your doctor tells you, no matter how frustrated you get.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

That's the fun part, what did they give you?

Just do everything they say, even if it seems like it's pointless...especially if you end up doing physical therapy.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Great minds think alike. :D

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Pain killers are a wonderful invention ^_^

take them, do the therapy (it will be long and stupid trust me on this, i have gone through several therapies) And recovery depending on how bad the tear was. Could take a while.

I had somewhat minor surgery on my knee two years back and i could not bend my knee fully for about 2 months after the fact (post taking off the brace and off crutches)

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You feel like going to the beach for lunch too? Geeze that's spooky...

SummerBreeze, the recovery process is going to be a fairly lenghty one, I saw it with my father who, while skiing, ripped one of his tendons off his kneecap, taking a bit of the bone with it and leaving his kneecap about halfway up his thigh as the other tendons contracted.

He was patient for so long but one night got a little enthusiastic and fell over, doing it again.

So follow the doc's advice to the letter, just deal with the frustration and use this time to do something you've always wanted to do - like watch DVDs and sleep. Oh man sleep would be sooo cool.

9. SummerBreeze thread starter macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

They gave me Percocet, I guess it's a little stronger than Vicodan.

I guess I'll definitely have to pay attention to every little thing the doctor says, although it might be difficult. I've heard the physical theraphy gets brutal.

10. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Physical therapy is a friggen boring walk in the park. I have never done something so boring in my life than that. Thou it probably helped.

And percs pfffft, thats easy meds.

11. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

SummerBreeze, I'm right there with you. I have the full length velcro brace on my left leg as I type. Torn ACL. I had my surgery a week ago yesterday. It will be at least six months before I can play soccer again.

Both fortunately and unfortunately for me, I know what I'm going through and will be going through. I tore the ACL in my right knee a little less than 2 years ago, so I've been through this all before. Let me tell you– the second time is no easier than the first. :)

You are welcome to ask me any questions you may have, and I'll try to answer them as well as possible.

The recovery period is typically at least 6 months. The doctor told me the first time that there was a small chance that my knee would never feel well enough to ever play soccer again, and the same is true this time around. I was out of soccer for 6 months..."lucky" me. :)

In the next couple weeks, you can be sure of one thing...a lot of pain and uncomfortability. There are few things in this world, if any, that I hate more than this brace. It sucks. The first couple weeks of therapy, which should start in 10-14 days, probably, will be spent getting your range of motion back. This, of course, involves a lot of pain and a great way to make it through is to take pride in the incremental increases in range of motion.

After that, you'll spend the rest of therapy increasing your strength in the muscles surrounding the knee. You will be amazed at how much atrophy has occured on your injured leg. I was anyway. So...more pain, basically. :)

Things you can do to help: do your homework. When the doctor or therapist tells you to do something at home, do it. This will help speed the recovery process.

Also, be careful. Don't try to do too much. While at the same time pushing yourself ever so slowly, don't try to push too much. You'll quickly learn what is "good" pain and what is "bad" pain with regards to your recovery.

The last thing that comes to mind is in line with Chundles advice. Find something to do. For me, the first time was spent watching my soccer team, going to every game, and being a part of the team. It was what helped me through. This time, though, that would drive me crazy. So, I plan on spending more time doing things outside of soccer and investing in new interests. Just find something you enjoy.

Lastly, you'll find that the question you'll be asked most is "How's the knee?" but the more important question is "How are you doing?" It can be very tough emotionally.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask here, PM me, or email me.

12. SummerBreeze thread starter macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

Thanks for all the info tobefirst. It sucks that you've had to go through this twice, it must be frustrating to spend so much time away from soccer. You've definitely told me quite a lot about what to expect, which is really helpful.

As far as finding something to do, I am going to attempt to keep myself busy with a rather extensive summer reading list and some DVD box sets. Hopefully that will take my mind off the fact that I can't do as many activities as I'm used to doing.

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Get a nice big, high, footstool. Something with enough width and height in it that you can put the leg up and not put any pressure on the knee.

14. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I just thought I'd check in and see how you're doing, SummerBreeze. I hope the healing process is going well and that you're starting to get your mobility back.

I'm 4 weeks post-op (as of tomorrow) and my therapy is going well– a lot faster than last time. I've got virtually all of my extension back and 123º of flexion. I've got about 20º more to go on that.

It has amazed me both times just how much muscle mass I've lost. I'm struggling to do weights now that I could have done in my sleep before the injury. :)

Again, I hope everything is going well and that you're recovering nicely and aren't too disheartened by the amount of work involved in the recovery. Keep working hard!