Ugh- Car Trouble

Discussion in 'Community' started by EJBasile, Jan 9, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Ugh- BIG problem of 2001 Range Rover. For the past year I let my sister drive my 2001 Range Rover because she did not like driving her BMW 325i in the snow. She finally bought an SUV (toureg) about a month ago so she gave my back my RR. I was driving home from the store when the whole car dropped to a low position and the "EAS Hard Fault" light turned on. That pretty much means that the Air Suspension has failed and you are riding on backup shock absorbers. The car also tells me to drive under 35mph. I think the compresser for the suspension either died, a hose broke, or all of the springs have big leaks in them.

Back to the dealer LOL. This will cost a fortune.

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I feel for you, I do. But this is one of the reasons I love "low tech".

3. iGav macrumors G3

4. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

What?

5. iGav macrumors G3

Botch it and scarper... (temp fix it, sell it and run with the money) :eek: :p

Or... remove the fuse from the warning light, and sell it as 'Range Rover with European spec, 'firm' sports suspension'. heheheheh :p

6. satty macrumors 6502

Do you have all year snow?
    Who would buy a BMW 325i in an area covered in snow all the time?

7. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

she bought it because she thought it was "cute"

8. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I really love that Range Rover so I don't want to get rid of it. Anways its a little of 3 years old and its resale value is 1/2 of what it cost new. I'll probably get it fixed and eventually give it to one of my nieces or nephews.

Yes it would have a very firm sports suspension. I've been reading about air suspension faliure and many people who have the problem just replace the air shocks with coil shocks but I would never do that. I mean, air suspension is one of the coolest features of that car. You'll never beable to say (unless you modify your car) becha your car can't do this (press the button and raise the suspension or lower).

9. Baron58 macrumors 6502

I had a '95 Range Rover County SWB, and one of the rear 'bags' developed a slow leak. I did the coils/shocks conversion, and it was amazing how much *better* it drove/rode after that. You can even finally correct the 'lean' that most of the old ones inherantly have with the correct combination of springs. The air suspension was 'cool', definitely, but after the initial novelty wore off I was much happier without the complexity and the constant 'chuffing' of the blow-off valve. Just never having to worry about a suspension failure was worth it. I later sold it to my parents and it's still going strong with over 180,000 miles on it. Pick up a copy of Land Rover Owner magazine, and look for suspension parts that you can order (e.g. the UK Police-spec suspension for the Range Rover). There's a place called 'Rovers North' in VT that does a lot of mods and custom builds: http://www.roversnorth.com/

10. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I found the compressor (which i've narrowed it down to after some snooping around) for $400 at roverparts.com but with labor its probably going to be $700 with labor i'm guessing.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

My Range has had intermittent air suspension probs, but they reset it at the local dealer for £30. Just needs a new £120 switch, I'm told. Yours may not be that serious after all. It's great being able to lower it so little old ladies don't need a ladder to get in.

12. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Hahah yes agree.

What year is yours.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

'97. Bought it off a Kiwi friend. Great machine, I love it! It's the 2.5D with the BMW Intercooled Turbo.

And a fridge/freezer in the back just big enough for 4 bottles of champagne! :D

14. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Yea Range Rover although not the most reliable car, are so nice. The interriors are awesome and the exteriors are so elegant. They are really nice but not to showey like a hummer or a mercedes G-series.

I have the
    -2001 Range Rover 4.6 HSE, all the luxery basics, GPS, Brush Guard, Tail light protectors, roof rack, no fridge but dual LCDs in the headrests.(Dark Silver ext, Black int.)
    -2004 Range River 4.4 HSE, 20" Land Rover Wheels, A frame (it think it called) front brushgard (only covers grill) and the tail light protectors (Black int. Black ext)

I use the 2001 when the car might get dirty or when i go skiing becuase it has the roof rack so i can mount my ski rack.

One day I want to buy the Linley version- Only 10 were sold for $150,000
    Very awsome special edition

15. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Sorry for being snarky but aren't you even a little disappointed about paying so much for a vehicle that gave out so soon? $700 may not be the end of the world for you, but we are talking about plastic bags and a compressor here. Not to mention what you must have paid for your RR in the first place. I would be a little reluctant to reward RR in the future, it's nice to have the ability but how often have you really stressed your RR in CT?

I hope the Linely version flies, but I suspect that is not the reason for owning one.

16. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Do you hear what car he wants to buy? I really don't think he worries about reliability.

kyle

17. russed macrumors 68000

russed

have any of these Range rovers ever been off road? i somehow think not!

having been off roading in all land rovers i can tell you that they havent been properly been used till they have and it is pretty impressive to see what they can do - even discovery's!

[​IMG]

don't worry the steam doesnt mean its gone, it had just been throuh a lake!

18. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

It's all fun and games until the compressor gives out I guess.

19. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Good old Classic (the picture)

I've never gone offroading with either of mine

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I've only had one at a time, me! Never less than 5 yrs old, used in the Pyrenees, Wales and Scotland off-road. Carries all my building gear, and looks good enough to meet a client in with a bit of spit and polish. Not much point having the best off-road machine in the world bar none if you stay on the blacktop....

21. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Well Range Rovers have the worst resale value in the world (50% or so devaluation in 2 years) so its almost not selling. Its good to have an extra SUV.