iPad mini Ugh, I'd honestly rather trade my full-size retina iPad for an iPad mini.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Axmann, May 14, 2013.

1. macrumors member

So, I (think) I've come to the conclusion that i'd rather have an ipad mini rather than the full-size behemoth retina ipad.

I have a 64gb Wifi Black retina model with applecare+

How would I go about getting a 64gb Wifi Black ipad mini with applecare+?

2. macrumors 68020

Keep the full size iPad or you'll miss it.

Open wallet, buy Mini.

That's what I did.

IPad 4 + Mini = :D

3. thread starter macrumors member

I'd rather buy a nice laptop PC with the money both of them together would cost.

4. macrumors 68020

I'd endorse that decision 100%.

I'm a huge laptop enthusiast.

That's why I have a 2012 13" MBA & 2013 15" MBPr as my two current faves :D

Between work & personal they both get lots of use.

My iPads are just for casual fun surfing & such when I want a different form factor.

5. thread starter macrumors member

Honestly, I just end up using it to browse the internet. And often, I'll just grab my ancient ipod touch because it's easier.

I'm getting alarmingly little use out of it for the amount I paid, and it's starting to make me extremely nervous.

I honestly don't think I'd miss the full-sized retina iPad, I just wouldn't know how to go about selling or trading it at all.

6. macrumors 68020

I do understand.

If you don't mind getting a lower price than selling it via Craigslist, or other method, I have used Gazelle with great success. They paid the quoted price & I received the check in only 5 days. Very hassle free.

www.gazelle.com

7. macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

I did exactly that. Sold my iPad retina and bought a mini.

The form factor of the mini trumps everything else.

8. macrumors 6502a

Hello...

I sold my ipad 3 and bought the mini, doubt I will ever go back.

9. macrumors G3

behemoth... LOL dramatic much?

You could start by buying it.

10. macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Wait until the full sized iPad 5 .. It is said to have thinner bezel and lighter too.
    So it will be easier to grab, comfortable to hold for a longer period AND keeping the full size of screen estate too.

Until then, the Mini is a nice and tempting option. Kinda make the iPad 4 and below feels and looks antiquated.

Hold on .. It couldn't be that long.

11. macrumors 68040

Buy the Mini and try it for 14 days to make sure it is really what you want before doing anything with the iPad 4 you may end up regretting.

12. macrumors 65816

Or you could just wait for the iPad 5 which will be about a pound and as thin as the mini. :)

13. macrumors 68020

That's why I have a plan to buy the new iPad 5 upon its release. Yet I'll also be buying the next mini if, and only if it is retina equipped. They're still two very different devices ergonomically.

14. macrumors 6502

I'd definitely hold out. Looking forward to seeing the next gens, especially the Mini. Like numerous other threads and posters discuss, if/when they go to Retina, I'm there!

15. macrumors 603

Max(IT)

There isn't such a thing like a "nice laptop PC" .... :D

16. macrumors regular

I understand that a mini is easy to hold and light but I think thats what an iphone is for so the best logical purchase would be an ipad to balance something small with something big.. just me :x

17. macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

iphone is totally different from ipad mini. i have an iphone, an ipad 3 and a mini. they all function differently.

18. macrumors member

i sold my ipad 4 today and traded it in for an ipad mini.

The wife already had 1 so i new what to expect.

i only used it to play ios games, browse the web. youtube those kind of things.

TBH i would never go back to the full size i much prefer the mini.

Only real difference you can see is if you look at some pictures that are really high res then u can tell with the side by side.

Can hold the mini for longer without getting arm ache.
    mini can be taken out the house alot easier than the full size.

and tbh even watching youtube vids you dont notice the difference between the sizes.

I say sell the ipad 4 buy a mini and pocket the spare cash.

I got £320 for my ipad 4 and a mini for £200.

19. macrumors regular

The ipad mini's purpose is to function exactly like an iphone but on a larger screen. What you can do on the iphone, you can do on the ipad mini.

Now... for PDF reading and best website surfing, the ipad is best which is something you cannot do on an iphone (without having to zoom on everything) or the mini (with some zooming).

If someone is on the go and wants to use an apple device, nothing beats the iphone. If someone is situated in a fixed location, nothing beats the ipad. The mini is an in-between of these two devices. It's better to go for the two extremes (extremely portable and extremely functional). This is assuming you have an iphone. If no iphone, I can see why ipad mini is a great buying choice.

20. macrumors regular

I haven't used my iPad 4 since buying my Mini 2 weeks ago.

21. macrumors 68040

The honeymoon is not over yet with the Mini.

People tend to last longer than two weeks with the newest toy so time will tell.

Enjoy, one or both.

22. macrumors regular

For email, reading books and flipboard this Mini is perfect. That's about 95% of what I use the iPad for. It's just easy to handle and take place.

23. macrumors 68040

No problem so long as the resolution and ppi are to your liking.

24. macrumors regular

It looks just fine. People are being way too picky over that. When the first iPad came out people that it was the greatest thing on earth. I didn't hear anyone saying they wouldn't buy one because they couldn't handle the resolution. Sure the IPad 4 looks great. But it's not always about what things look like. There are many other factors that make a great product.

25. macrumors 6502a

People use their iPads for different purposes and for some the minis advantages and lack of retina outweighs the benefits of a full sized iPad. For others like me who have tried both, the full size iPad would be of greater benefit. I like to rdp my home computer and I think the full size iPad is better for this. Amongst other reasons for using one.