UGH! Stop the Microsoft Bashing!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by G5Unit, Mar 29, 2007.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Over the last couple weeks, everything that pertains to Microsoft(HD DVD, Xbox 360, Office) has been looked upon negatively. Even one person said that they don;t like the VC-1 codec just because it's Microsoft's.

I think that we are lowering ourselves.. People don't like it here when people say they are stupid because then own a mac. We are just saying we don't like something just because it's Microsoft. Some people will tell you that Apple sucks and they make Macs that don't play games. Is it any different to say that we don't like the Xbox 360 or Zune JUST because Microsoft makes it?

Microsoft has done some low things in the past, but it's not like everything they come out with now is crap.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

We can always replace MicroSoft bashing with G5Unit bashing.

But MS bashing is the MRs sport of choice, so please leave and don't get cornholed by MS when you make the switch on the way out. :p

Plus, living in the gutter means the alcohol is working. ;)

Anyhow, Wal-mart bashing usually gets the thread closed -- while people cheer the MS bashing.

3. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

No, but a lot of it is, and since MS continues to do low things (seems to be part of the corporate culture), they will continue to be bashed and they will continue to deserve it.

--Eric

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I agree with you to a point. There has to be a little bashing every now and then, you understand.

BTW, you're avatar scares me. What is it?

There's talk of a national team.

Even if we called the team "M$ Sucks", and I bet we could get them to sponser it anyway.

5. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Hmmmm, this week I spent 30 minutes setting up an Airport Extreme Base station and getting two Macs to connect to the internet over it.

I also spent 3.5 hours getting two PC's to see, recognise, and connect to the same network.

In my opinion, M$ has earned what they receive.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

People would never say it is because they have Wal-Mart quality products at Apple prices ... and also hammer the innovators in their sights with Wal-Mart style tactics.

7. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

What I ment to say in my original post was that people tend to judge other products from Microsoft based on windows. Yes, of course windows sucks, but some of their others don't.(my opinion again)

8. bartelby macrumors Core

Like the Zune, or Vista?:confused:
    What else have they come out with recently?

9. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Xbox 360, backing HD DVD, competition for Apple...

I know a lot of people think that Microsoft products are bad, yet how many people have actually used them to make a statement?(again, windows doesn't count)

Yet since I can't really make a point about this since I am in a way praising Microsoft, maybe this thread should just be locked?

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Windows is MicroSoft's personality ... so it is a little hard to forget.

Heck even Wal-Mart gave 230 million to charity -- but that really isn't going to make people forget about their Chinese way of life and US slave labor, no matter how much you crow about their US made Cinnamon toothpicks and their charity.

This is definitely a 2 bag whore that you get into bed with when you are drunk, or desperate to conform to the other million people in line outside her door.

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Bashing for the hell of it is wrong - bashing when something truly deserves it is not. And yes, you have to have tried the product and the competition before you bash...

So the VC-1 codec might suck (I have no idea) in comparison to another which take a similar amount of time/resource to encode but not just because it comes from MS.

What bugs me more is calling it M$, Microshaft and the like.

Personally, I think the Xbox 360 is impressive although I'm not a gamer but their attempts to crash the PS3 launch in Paris by hiring boats and loudspeakers were crass.

You can't really blame folks for considering the company as a whole though. After all, it's the insane profits they make from Windows and Office that let them sell the Xbox at the price they do and make losses for longer than a smaller competitor could do.

To finish on a non-bashing point, I love Excel. Yes, there are things it could do better and more easily but without its pivot tables etc, I'd be screwed on a more or less daily basis.

12. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Apparently you haven't used the flip4mac encoder. It's enough to hate the company as a whole.

13. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i've used vista, and i'm not totally against it. unlike many of the people here, i find the operating system usable, snappy and, yes, somewhat pretty. i can get past that os x has had integrated search for two years, and i can get over the fact that flip3d is a crappy version of exposé. i think vista offers more good than it does bad, so i guess i kind of like it. however, please do not use the xbox 360 as a quality microsoft product. everyone i know has had it replaced at least once, most of whom more than once. the quality issues with that console remind me why i hate microsoft so much; they just simply don't make quality products. combine that with years of bad windows design, and you're going to get some bashing. and it's going to be deserved more often than not.

14. bartelby macrumors Core

I don't have an XBOX, and never will, nor and HD DVD player.
    I use Windows, Office and several other applications in work.

I think Windows should count as it's their primary product!

15. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Although I like Apple products--I've found nothing that works better than Office for what it does--but Microsoft Windows doesn't come close to doing what Mac OS X can do. I like some of Microsoft's moves that they have made recently (when I tested Vista at Best Buy I was happier with it when I walked out of the store than I thought I would be before I tested it--although I didn't, and haven't since, thoroughly test it). The latest version of Office (that is currently Windows only) sounds like a great version of Office from what I've read and I am excited that it will soon be available for the Mac.

I think it is legitimate to not shop at Wal-Mart but please don't tell me you do all of your technology shopping at one store. We all shop at various places for different things. I have downloaded software from various web sites and have purchased hardware and software from various retail stores. I also do grocery shopping at various retail stores. It is only natural to have some Apple products and some Microsoft products.

16. Done-on-a-Mac macrumors member

Just ignore it and let it go. This is what I do sometimes, when someones opinions differ from mine. You can't actually stop the bashing anyway.

- Scott

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Why bash Microsoft when you can caress...

Picture 1.jpg

...Or lick!​

18. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

thats one blue screen I wouldn't mind to see everytime my computer crashed. Heck I'd put buggy software on my pc on purpose.

but i havent noticed more bashing than normal. I have used a zune for a bit and it was nice but since i couldn't get it to work with my itunes collection heck with it. The 360 i love. Their are a lot of smart people at microsoft just some stupid management people that can screw stuff up fast.

I do want bash microsoft real quick though. Microsoft is having their management retreat 2007 in San Diego currently. I am in San Diego currently for my spring break. Alot of laptop using microsoft guy/gals are staying at my hotel. They use up all the bandwidth so each page takes about 30seconds to load. And WOW is pretty laggy <angry>

19. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

I have a Microsoft Optical Intellimouse which I loved until the wheel started turning very slowly after a few years of use.

TYPICAL MICROSOFT, I thought.

Yesterday I opened it up and removed all the dirt clogging the wheel.

Can you believe M$$$$$ snuck into my house and jammed up my mouse just so I would have to buy another one?

At least Apple give you a mouse so crap you do not want to use it and it sits in the box, pristine and clean.

I LOVE YOU STEVEY JOBS AND JONNY IVES!!!

20. Done-on-a-Mac macrumors member

Exactly!:D

- Scott

21. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

In my opinion the Zune is a piece of junk, the 360 is solid but still junk, and do not get my started on the Microsoft branded computers (MPC).

22. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Hmm, I agree. the Xbox 360 is just about the only thing that I would consider getting. That's one awesome machine.

And I own the Zune. I really like it too.

But I dislike Vista and I really like Windows CE forever!

So Microsoft is awesome. I just hate their business attitude.

23. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

R u referring to the blue screen of b******ery? :D

24. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

This is an Apple forum and as much as i think all this MS bashing is senseless, you are going to get it here. There are lots of angst ridden teenagers on line who like to blow off steam by saying nasty things about different companies/ people/ movies/ music.

On this site you are going to get the MS bashers. Other sites you get apple bashers. On other sites you get different bashers.

It's a sad fact of life and the best (and only) thing we can do is ignore these sad little <bleeps> and get on with enjoying our own lives.

Doing that only takes me about 10 minutes (or less). Maybe you were going about it in some backwards way.

Try doing something like that in Linux and then get back to me about how hard windows is to work with.

25. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

finally, someone mentioned this! :D

to each, their own. i'm a solaris admin by trade and we always bash windows at work. not because we don't like it. but because there are things that it can't do while solaris can. same goes with the windows guys, they always bash solaris for the things that it can't do. although it's not that many :D