ugh, upgraded to tiger, lost internet ..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by deermatt, Nov 4, 2005.

1. deermatt macrumors member

Oct 20, 2005
    hey, heres my issue.. i have a 15in powerbook , had panther , and internet worked fine .. i got tiger, and i lost my internet connection . I got mad and did a fresh install of tiger, and i got my internet back and all was good, so i did the software update, and then i lost it again. i get nothing . airport wont connect, and ethernet wont connect. i tried the assistant to find a connection, it detects the wireless network, but wont let me get online, why is this? can anyone help?
  2. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    You got a router? What kind/vendor?
    Is your router set up to hand out private IP addresses using DHCP, or are you using static host configuration?
    When you plug in the ethernet cable, does the icon next to it appear green, yellow, or red in the Network Status pane (in the Network System Preference)?
    After connecting with ethernet (and waiting a few moments), open a terminal window and type ifconfig en0 | grep inet and hit enter. What kind of output do you get?
    If you are using DHCP, after connecting with ethernet (and waiting a few moments), open a terminal window and type sudo ipconfig getpacket en0 and hit enter. Do you get any output at all? What about the last few lines?
  3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    Well, I have a fifteen inch powerbook as well, and when I upgraded to Tiger, I didn't completely lose my internet, but it will quit working randomly for no apparent reason, and the only way I can get it back is to put the computer to sleep for a lengthy period of time, or if that is not an option, rebooting usually takes care of it. But it has been a real puzzler for me. I can't figure out what is going on. My powermac has the exact same software on it, and it never messes up. It will work when the powerbook won't, and never loses connection, so I don't know what is going on with me. I just found it interesting that you have a 15" powerbook and are having internet problems after installing Tiger.:eek: