Ughh.. My Mac Makes My Room So Hot

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Oct 7, 2005.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I have an eMac and I always leave it on. At night the room just gets a little too warm for my liking. And I also got a really small room. A minor annoyance... I thought I'd share... :rolleyes:

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

AC?

I have my AC on 24/7 to combat the two powerbooks and the powermac

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

5. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I concur.

When you walk into my room, you see me, half dead on the bed, and you're all like "eew" but then you see the PB and you're all like "awesome!!" so then, it's all... indifference.

MAN, I wish I could carry around my PB on my neck like Flava Flav's giant clock.
    I know you can do it with a Mac mini, but I wanna do it with a 15" PB. someone design me something.

and yea, I get uncomfortably warm with my PB. I get burns. I bruise like a peach. I've shown my burns to the genius bar. They tell me to put pants on (when I compute... and I guess in daily life, too) and go home.

Just remember-- it'll be december soon... THE COLD AIR!
    Much the cold!!

/the high today is 76?!
    //yesterday it got up to 103!
    ///I get cold when it's 80.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

:p

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i have this same problem. my g5 (and external drives) make the place a hot box. i live on the top level of my house so it doesn't make it easy to cool. probably when i move i'll get a little fan or something. sucks in the summer for sure.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's a cool autumn Friday night in London and right now, the only thing that's keeping this room warm is the monitor and the dualG41.42PM in the corner, full of hard drives, optical drives, maxed RAM etc... Every fan has been modded, the heatsink too.

It's an almost OK space heater, with a 50'ish kind of plasticy silver space-age automobile look.

Sounds just like an automobile too... there's a small lamp sitting on top of it.

...new heating system going in within the next few days — thermostatically-controlled, wall-to-wall, blissful toastiness. Which is a good thing. But until then, I can't use the existing heaters.

So I'm quite OK with my hot Mac, thanks for asking. :)

9. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

See, if i had my way, my house would be made entirely from glass and be super duper insulated. The sun heats it during the day and at night just turn the powerbook on :p

Roast some marshmallows. Then fall asleep looking at the stars. Oh yeah.

10. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

You can save $$ on heating bill during the winter. Hmm...maybe I should get a G5 and leave it on during the winter here in Connecticut. Heating gas bill is rising.

:D

11. jywv8 macrumors 6502

That's what I do here in Chicago. No joke. My office is small (9x9), and with the G5 running it is easily the warmest room in the house. In the winter, it's great. In the summer, it bites.

You wanna talk about heating bills? We have GFA, and our gas bill regularly runs upwards of $200 in the winter for a 3 bedroom apartment. Yikes.

12. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Really! Your G5 heats up your office. So, what do you do during summer time (as you state, it bites). I would not like to be in your shoes during then.

Okay, after next week's "surprise" event, I'll buy a G5 PM (dual dual core ?? Come 'on Apple). Winter in CT is really cold (probably as worse as Chicago). Sorry to hear your gas bill runs upwards of $200. The gas rate will be higher after the hurricane Rita. Bad for us all...

13. Aarow macrumors 6502a

Heats good in minnesota:). But my mac mini doesn't make the room hot:(.

14. jywv8 macrumors 6502

I set a fan in the doorway and point it right at my face, hoping to catch some of the cool air spewing from the AC window unit in the living room. But, mostly, I just sweat and dream of winter.

15. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Abstract! Come to Houston some time. I have a feeling that if you ever did, we'd party so good. YOU'RE AWESOME.
    You're one of my favorite Mac Rumorers.

16. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

You should use my soon to be patented - open and close your door quickly, fanning technique.

That heat will soon dissipate and you'll be able to relax in cool contemplation of how much you should paypal me for use of my genius room cooling technique!

That or just open a window. :p

17. applekid macrumors 68020

My iMac G3 Bondi Blue is frickin' hot. All my fault. Tossed in 512 MB of RAM and a 40 GB 7200 rpm HD. The room heats up to an uncomfortable temperature of an unknown amount. Never really measured it. This summer wasn't too hot, so it was bearable. Today would be a bad day. It's only 71 °F outside, but the humidity is 100% and it just feels like a bad, humid 90 °F summer day...

Check out the US's weather with the pic attached. Looks like the Jolly Green Giant puked on the East Coast! Definitely not iMac G3 weather :p

Those AMD FX-53's get really hot. My friend built his dad a gaming rig based around the FX-53. It's under a desk, but the desk is sealed up on the back and the back of the machine has just enough air circulation room. When you're gaming on that thing, your fingers get really warm as the hot air comes upward and pass right over the keyboard tray!

Attached Files:

18. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Yeah, my G5 keeps my computer room several degrees hotter than every other room in the house.

19. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Haha, I already do that. :D Well anyways, I got a AC in my room already but the nights are so cold outside, I feel bad turnin on the AC. I'm upstairs and it's a small room, and I like to keep my door closed when I sleep.

20. CompUser Guest

Why don't you just turn off your eMac at night....

I have central air so I can't really control the temp with out my dad getting mad that the thermostat is at 70 degrees.

How small is your room.

21. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Aha! Macs are the reason for global warming! :p

What about turning off your computer at night? Or sleeping it? We must conserve people... Conserve :cool:

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Symptoms -- Night sweats, and being hot at night.

You might want to try www.mayoclinic.com -- you could have a hormonal imbalance, going through menopause, or have something really serious.

23. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

My room is about 11 by 12 I tihnk, roughly maybe alil bigger. I like to keep my computer on cause I'm always uploadin' and downloadin' (I mean always) and if it sleeps, then there goes the connection.