Ugrading G4 733mhz D/A

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by stevey500, Jan 5, 2005.

1. stevey500 macrumors 6502

I have a g4 digital audio 733mhz with 1gb of ram and 17"apple studio display at highest resolution. I am very very happpy with this machine. There is just one thing... Graphics, it runs the Gforce 2 MX with the ADC port. When I am in certain websites, it gets a little choppy when scrolling, iphoto is choppy when scrolling through pictures and loading pictures into full view, opening up pictures in viewer (3.3mp pictures) has quite a delay when opening, zooming in an out of PDF's in viewer is extremely slow.. Im thinking it might just be video card. What could i do to make it run better in those areas? What video card would you recommend ( has to have ADC ). Another thing, I just installed an m-audio revolutions 5.1 card and installed all software and it works great, DTS in movies and all... but sometimes when a sound playback is started I get kind-of a static POP sound... lets say.. I was playing a song in iTunes then I pause it, then I go to quicktime and start a playback, it will sometimes make a static pop or maybe a tick sound... also, is there an alternative program to enhance my audio? M-audio's software has an option for SRS II surround sound emulation but I dont like it too much, it sounds too fake. Im using logitech Z680 5.1 speakers... any help or suggestions appreciated.

2. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I'd say your iphoto slowdown is due to slow CPU. Working in mostly 2D, slowdown cannot be attributed to the graphics card.

I'd get two upgrades however. A 1ghz- 1.4ghz CPU upgrade along with a video card upgrade... does your system have AGP or is it PCI?

3. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's AGP... does the digital/audio g4 support dual processor cards?

4. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

It sure does .. a dual 1Ghz card will speed things up quite a but without breaking the bank too much ..

GPU wise there isn't that much choice .. either a ATI 9000 or a 9800 .. with the latter over and the former underpowered ..

You could look on eBay for a Geforce 4Ti but only the ATI 9800 will support coreimage in 10.4 ..

5. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

Another quick question... Does the pcmcia slot in the g4 digital/audio computer function the same as it would in an ibook/powerbook ? Or does it only detect apple airport cards? thanks

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM