Ugrading G4 867 Single (Help needed)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by fancyafc, Jun 17, 2004.

1. fancyafc macrumors newbie

Hi, as the title suggests I have a G4 867. I have now done every concievable upgrade to it (1gb ram, 9800pro graphics card and a dvr 107 superdrive) Although I am finding it a bit short in the processor stakes. What I would like to know is, is it possible to buy another 867 chip to make it like a dual model? (if so where from?) and if so is it easy to fit and am I going to notice much difference? Or should I perhaps consider a higher spec g4 (cheaper than a g5) or just save a bit harder and plump for the g5? Just after most bang for me bucks. Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers.

2. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

Great system

You have a keeper there, hold onto it.

To answer your question, no a second 867 cannot be installed. The processor's reside on a daughterboard and have to be exchanged completely as 1 unit. You did not tell us if this is a Quicksilver or a MDD. If the MDD then you MUST buy a MDD dual processor card, about the only place to find this is Ebay. If you have a Quicksilver then the options become more open. Sonnet will soon release a Duet 1.3ghz and PowerLogix has had Dual CPU upgrades for a long time now. Gigadesigns is an up and coming manufacturer and has had great customer response thus far. Single CPU upgrades all the way to 1.5ghz are available from Sonnet, Gigadesigns, PowerLogix and OWC (www.macsales.com).

Make your way to www.macgurus.com and click on the forums, lots of great info there. Of course www.xlr8yourmac.com and their forums would also be a great resource for you.

Good luck!

3. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

That's the problem. It's too simple.

You obviously have no understanding of what is inside your computer. Crack it open, look at it and then ask yourself.. "where am I going to put this second processor?"

If you don't know what's inside your machine, I'm not sure you should go taking things out - without doing some comprehensive reading on the matter.

xlr8yourmac is a great resource for learning. Good luck.

4. fancyafc thread starter macrumors newbie

Im sorry but did you not read my post??? I have obviously delved inside the computer at some point to fit the upgrades mentioned so I am well aware of what is in there. I admit I didnt go ripping off the heatsink just to have a look at the processor but hey there we go. Although on closer inspection is does look a bit tight. Have checked into it and to fit a new processor or processors is going to cost a fair bit. So I would now like to know if it is worth the money? Or should I consider a newer G4 or perhaps a G5 bearing in mind i would be selling the older one.

5. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Yes, in fact I read both of your posts. I apologize for the haste, just spent the last hour re-arranging furniture only to find that my 2.4-meter couch is just too damn big!

In the end it all comes back to the question: what are you going to do with the computer? An 867 is slow, but not that slow... if you're considering spending £2200 on a g5 machine, I hope you have some lofty goals for it. Video production, rendering, serious science stuff .. yeh, I dunno your intentions.

Those dual 1.42GHz g4s are getting pretty cheap these days, might be worth looking into. Anything that gets you away from that 133bus might be worth looking into. :)