Uh-Oh - Anyone got yellow spots on their 14 screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mkstewartesq@co, Jun 23, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Just synced up my iPhone 4 and noticed that, on screens with a white background (i.e., Settings.), there is a decidedly yellow spot on the lower left corner of my screen. It appears circular (about the size of a pencil eraser) but when you rotate the phone sideways, it's more visible as running across the bottom edge of the screen a ways. Anyone else? Also, assuming I wait til the weekend to make a Genius Bar appointment (to avoid the Thursday crush at the store), is Apple likely to have replacement phones on hand this early in the launch?

Thanks,
    M

2. macrumors member

Sounds like the iMac :eek:

3. macrumors 6502

Pics damnit!

4. macrumors regular

damn.... that sucks..

5. macrumors newbie

I agree, pics please!

6. macrumors 6502

that sucks, pics please.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it doesn't show up in screenshots since the defect appears to be in the output screen and (I assume), the screenshot really just snaps the data as presented to the screen. I think I'd need to use an external camera to capture it and, though it is noticeable, I'm not positive a camera would capture it. I guess I'll wait a couple of days to see if "burn-in" or some similar concept will address it. But, you know, one I saw it, I can't UNsee it.

M

EDIT - and I don't have an external camera.

8. macrumors member

Please god no :(

It put me off buying iMacs for live after that fiasco... please don't let this happen to iphone...

9. macrumors 6502a

use the front camera in a mirror?

10. macrumors 6502

I like what you did there! :)

Do it! Even if it doesn't show it I want to see a pic taken with the front cam. Por favor!

11. macrumors 601

PNutts

I would make it for Thursday just to see the circus from a distance and pick up some accessories :) Sorry about your phone.

12. macrumors 601

gloss

Frankly, if it is an issue they'll replace it for you, and until demand calms down at least you still have a fully functional phone.

13. thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that doesn't work so well (but you get an award for quick thinking, as that never would've occurred to me). You just get a shot of the phone taking a picture of the phone - but you need a white background up on the screen to be able to see the yellow spot.

Anyone hazard a guess as to whether Apple will declare there to be no issue until tons of others report the problem? I can't remember what happened in the iMac situation before the point where they publicly acknowledged an issue.

M

14. macrumors newbie

Everyone I know in the world has a camera, why is it people on forums that make claims NEVER have even a point and shoot?

15. thread starter macrumors regular

Agreed. It bothers me, but it's not like the phone is broken or doesn't work. And given the warranty length, it's not something I have to deal with immediately. Apple has always been pretty fair to me in the past with dusty-under-screen issues, etc.

M

16. macrumors 6502

I know you stated that you do not have an external camera, but do you have a 3GS or other phone you can snap a pic?

I'll let it go after this one.

17. macrumors regular

taybo20

I tend to agree with this. Always seems to happen on tech forums too...

18. macrumors newbie

I had this same problem with a launch day palm pre from sprint. Mine was the screen and I had to wait a while for a replacement.

19. macrumors regular

Agreed. I'll never buy another iMac. Especially after Apples idiotic and heartless handling of the matter.

20. thread starter macrumors regular

This is the best I could do, and you can't see much, because my (now OLD) 3G dims the pictures a bit. So I'm sure people will say I'm just seeing things, but the yellow is pretty pronounced in person.

Sorry for the big pic file sizes. No way to reduce at work.

Attached Files:

21. macrumors 6502a

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

iMac fiasco all over again :(

22. macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

You are standing under florescent tubes which, depending on color temperature, can easily lend a yellow cast to white surfaces.

Have you tried viewing it under other lighting conditions, like outdoors?

Mark

23. macrumors regular

woosah

I believe you, but I can't make anything out in that pic.

24. thread starter macrumors regular

No, have not. Will at lunch time and report back. But the yellowing is very localized on the screen, just to be clear - it's not that the whole screen looks yellow/has a yellow cast, as it would (I'd expect) if it was merely the effect fo the overhead lights. When I move the menus in Settings, it's easy to see the yellow spot is stationary.

25. thread starter macrumors regular

And I don't mean to get everyone up in arms. I may just a have the one-in-a-million "bum" unit. It happens. Doesn't mean everyone else here should be worried about the same problem.:)