Uh Oh: I'm Becoming an Audiophile!

Discussion in 'Community' started by dotdotdot, May 30, 2005.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

You know that feeling you get when you pump your speakers up and play your favorite music you've downloaded from iTunes or ripped at 128 KBPS AAC (160 KBPS MP3) and you just listen to it, no interuptions?

That feeling is dead. I'm becoming an audiophile.

I purchased my first DVD audio CDs in March and now on every song that isn't DVD audio/lossless, I hear badly encoded music, wether its drums that don't stand out, or just badly mixed lyrics.

I already decided on buying new speakers, but I fear I need to buy new CDs to rip it at a higher quality.

I think I am going to go have a chat with that radio station to broadcast only high quality lossless files on the air.

Its like a disease - no music, and I am turning violent.

Seriously, I hate this because now I'm noticing quality of songs and can obviously hear a difference between DVD-Audio and CD-Audio.

Too bad DVD-Audio isn't catching on at ALL.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's a sad and expensive road to go down. :(

I feel your pain.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

What, do you mean I need to replace my 8-tracks?

How much is a DVD-Audio version of CW McCall's "Convoy"?

:D

4. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Take a 2nd and 3rd job and then kiss all your money goodbye.

I have a B&O setup still in storage along with some Kef 105.2's and 101.1's, some yahmaha and denon too.

Crap at one time it was a disease. My hearing went south from Airplane engines (turns out a blessing) so now I can't hear 10% harmonic distortion, much less .001%. Life is easier and cheaper now.

Good luck to you, I will say a prayer for ya.

5. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Hey, won't the FLAC compression get you close to that DVD audio quality?

6. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

*Opens up wallet*

I don't care how much. I will pay any any price...:p

Dotdotdot, buy some good phones, and import your music at a higher bit rate. Will take time but is cheaper...

7. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Haha, well its something you have to handle yourself.

I almost got into it when I purchased some SR225's (Grados), but after noticing how uncomfortable they were...well I didn't want to go through the "A is better than B b/c of this, but C does this"

That said, I could care or not care. Not caring saves not only your wallet but your sanity. I would hate to overanalyze the quality of sound, when I am missing the musicality of the very songs that I am listening and enjoying. Why would I give that up so i could "hear the best quality sound"?

I'm sorry, but when you care more about sound quality than enjoyment of music, I think you have lost the very reason you bought sound equipment.

To listen to music.

8. sonyrules macrumors regular

dvd-audio??? eeekkk, If your looking for a place to get a dvd-audio or sacd's, www.redtrumpet.com. If they aint got it, you probley wont find it.. I perfer SACD my self, Harmonics are cleaner is so is the bottom end. And i agree about price... My home theater alone in audio is over $10,000, thats not including the wire or video componets. Stuff gets expensive, but i tell you what, Its just amazing to sit there and listen to it... I love it