uh oh... MacBook screen flicker.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blitzydog, Oct 1, 2006.

1. blitzydog macrumors member

For some reason my MacBook's screen flickers from time to time, just randomly. It'll be fine for a while, and then do it a little, and then stop... If the brightness is at full, it flickers darker, and if the brightness is low, it flickers a brighter screen. It doesn't flicker intensely... just a couple light flickers in a random way. It happens both on AC power and battery power. Any ideas?~!

update: Okay yah, it's doing it a lot right now. I have the brightness on lowest, and it seems the right side of the screen is lighting up a lot... it's driving me crazy.

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

my MBP does that from time to time as well. But its really minor, and I just ignore it. Depending on how sever it is, you may want to ring Apple.

3. blitzydog thread starter macrumors member

Well I took it to the authorized tech today. I was worried it would behave and not flicker for him, but it did, and he thinks it's either the screen or the logic board. According to him, a lot of logic boards have had to be replaced and they're on back-order because there is currently a global shortage of them.. heh.

But yah, I need it for the rest of today, and then i'm going to give it to him tomorrow so he can figure out what it is.

It's such an annoying problem.. It can be fine for like 20 minutes and then just go for it. Like right now there's no problem. But when it starts to flicker it looks like a lightning storm. It happened in class today and I could see people pointing, heh.

Wish me luck :(

4. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Mine does the same thing, though not nearly to the same degree.

I usually only notice it in the morning, after a fresh bootup.

If it's been on for hours (sometimes days ;)), I never seem to notice it.

But still, I would call Apple.

5. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Mine flickers...but it's very very rare. And barely noticable. In fact, it's so rare that I think it might actually be something to do with my Magsafe electronic connection breaking very briefly (when you unplug the cord the screen darkens to save battery).

But if it does it a lot, that's pretty good reason to demand a replacement screen/logic board/whatever.

6. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

That is a good idea though. I'll try unplugging mine tonight and see if I ever notice it.

:D

7. Jamesw macrumors member

Mine flickered all the time and sometimes would go all black and come back on occasion. I brought it to Apple, the replaced the screen and it was done.

8. blitzydog thread starter macrumors member

I just installed firmware update for macbook.. and no flicker in the last 30 mins ive had this update. Here's hopin' !

9. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I hate to say this but.... I've had flickers since the firmware update.

Now, know what I strongly think it's the magsafe not the logic board..

10. lordshaker macrumors newbie

Caffeine!!

Hey, I had this same problem, but recently started using Caffeine from http://www.lightheadsw.com/ and its totally nipped it in the bud.

It means you need to manually hotspot your screensaver etc if you want to prolong your displays life, but its worth it for the demise of the flicker.

11. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

my girlfriends mb CD 1.83 does this for like the first 30min from a cold boot.

It has to do with the inverter board, as it needs replaced. i just am hoping itll last until she wants a new one, because i dont want to pull the LCD apart, yuck.

It has nothing to do with the magsafe, whoever said that, didnt read the OP. It happens on both battery and AC, and is a VERY COMMON issue with the MBs.