Uh, oh, maybe Jobs will go back to PowerPC now...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Peyton, Jun 19, 2006.

1. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I highly doubt apple is going to use intel processors for few years and then go back to ppc. I have a feeling whatever IBM did can probably be carried over to intel.

2. Peyton thread starter macrumors 68000

Peyton

I agree. But that is a great discovery, any discovery like this is good for the tech world

3. vniow macrumors G4

That article didn't say anything about PPC, just mentioned semiconductors, which are used in any kind of chip.

4. adk macrumors 68000

adk

we both assumed PPC because the article said IBM did it.

5. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

As long as Macs get faster and go down in price, as they always have, and are better than the stuff in the PC world, I really don't care what type of processor Apple uses.

I have had machines with Motorola, IBM, and Intel chips (among others) and they have all served me well.

6. kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

But nonetheless, It does specifically state that IBM is it's developer, which manufactures the modern PPC chip. Therefore, I highly doubt that IBM would gladly pawn off their new technology, but instead would use it to get back a recently lost business partner (hint hint ;) ). It sounds like this should be interesting, especially if the technology has been developed for dual or quad core processors. Just imagine the power and pperformance you would recieve from such a chip. I think it would be a little more free in a Mac than an Intel chip would be. Let the race begin!:p

7. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Correct me if I'm wrong but IBM didn't even make the PPC that was in the last line of Power Macs etc..

[edit] nevermind I was thinking about the PowerBook G4..DO'H! [/edit]

But that speed increase sure sounds cool!!

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

300 GHz at room temp, 500 GHz at ultra cold temps...for a single transistor. Full chips will run much slower.

Linkety

9. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

So we're not gonna get 500Ghz macs or even 300Ghz macs, but we could see a 50Ghz mac within the next 3 years, right?

10. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

not to mention the others will be soon to follow. it isn't like intel and amd aren't trying (and will) to break the same barriers speeding millions on r&d.

11. kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

Ha ha I'd like to see 1 THz (1 Terrahertz, 1000 GHz).:D

12. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Absolute zero? :p Practical...

13. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

This is the feature after we reach the physical limitation of a traditional cpu. these will be faster than you can phantom at the moment.

http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~westside/quantum-intro.html

14. geoking66 macrumors newbie

I highly doubt that Apple will revert back to PowerPC. If people have worked so hard to make their software and programs to Universal status, Apple would certainly keep Intel for at least five years. Besides, the new processors that Intel is currently producing keep on getting faster (one was clocked at 2.5GHz from what I know).

-Phil

15. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I think this theorical for now and the practical application of this would be used on the professional and server market not the hardcore gamer at home market.

But a 50GHz Mac would be totally sweet :D

16. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Of course, the announcements say nothing about power consumption, and don't provide much in the way of detail. Also, by using an "exotic" element, they may run into problems trying to integrate this into a complete chip design.

I'm sure we'll see the benefits of this technology (in intel chips), but I don't think it will be as soon as they are leading us to believe.

17. Collin973 macrumors 6502

Those speeds, even 50GHZ are extremely impressive. I remember when the 1ghz processor came out. I was so excited (because the computer i was using was a 200mhz). Pretty sweet let me tell you. No more wait time on anything...click...safari is open....no more bouncing of the application icon...

18. iGary Guest

iGary

Here they are putting the cooling system in place for one of these chips:

[​IMG]

19. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

I have never owned a power PC Mac :( I went from Motorola to Intel :(. However great speed jump... :)

20. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

This means Steve now will have to pull out the MHz myth argument, again! :D

21. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

These days, everything's either PPC or Universal...not PPC or Intel. I could see Apple easily jumping between PPC and Intel (and even RISC or whatever those CPU's are called) for where ever it suits the users needs the best.

22. JRM PowerPod macrumors 6502

You laugh now, this quote will be used one day.

I'm 19 the first computer i had in my house was a 66mhz 486, i thought it was fast with its 8mb ram and 400mb storage. 12 years later we have a Quad G5 with 1TB internal storage and 4Gb of ram. Thats 151 times the processor (4cores) 2500 times the storage and 512 times the ram. Using that as a basis in another 12 years i could be using a computer with a total of 1.5Thz in cores 10,000TB (wtf) and 2TB of Ram. Imagine that running solitaire

23. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Yes, but it will still use Intel integrated Graphics...:D

24. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

way more than 151 times the speed. the 66MHz 486 can do 50Mflops the quad G5 does 80Gflops thus it's 1600 times faster.