uh-oh...my iPod is seeing colors

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by phreeQue, Jul 8, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

Jul 8, 2003
    I bought an iPod a few days ago, and already I'm seeing weird colored rings around the top middle of the screen, almost like it has been pressed hard in that location or that it was left out in the sun for awhile. Neither of these things happened, and you can only see these rings under certain lighting conditions, but it may be getting worse. Anyone else have similar problems?
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I think you might just be a little paranoid. All LCDs will show a bit of a color under certain lighting conditions.

i am looking at my first generation iPod right now, and it has it, if I tilt it just so in certain lighting...

Unless it obscures or deteriorates the actual images on the display, I wouldn't be concerned.

If it's bad, how about some pictures?
  3. macrumors 6502

May 2, 2003
    chicago ex-toronto
    yes i agree about the paranoia.
    i just bought a 30 gig a few days ago and my screen has a bit of rainbow thing going on.
    not a big deal.
  4. macrumors 68000

Mar 21, 2003
    You are not paranoid. This is a known issue with the first batch of iPods. My 30GB has them as well. I contacted Apple about it and they said that there is nothing to worry about and that they would not replace it. It's a shame but we just have to deal with it.

5. macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    I think it's a cool effect, knowing you can't get color text on the current iPods.

You could remove that effect by turning on the backlight. :D
  6. job
    macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    My iPod looks messed up when I look at it with sun glasses on. It has all these crazy looking colored rings and lines all over the display, yet without the glasses, the LCD appears fine.
  7. macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    That reminds me....when I look at my monitor with sunglasses at an angle the monitor looks purple. But everything else looks dark.

Pretty cool.
  8. macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2002
    either that or you all have a secret prototype with a high res screen and color ;)
  9. macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Jun 17, 2003
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Do your sunglasses have polarized lenses? Polarized lenses can do what you just described.
  10. macrumors 6502a

Jul 10, 2001
    Torrance, Californizzel
  11. macrumors 6502

Apr 1, 2002
    im more worried about the iPods ability to get scratches, its like its begging for more scratches.
  12. macrumors 68000

Jan 5, 2003
    I just looked at my iPod and in some light, I can see a little bit of color on the screen. I think its normal, and just part of the screen.
  13. macrumors 6502

Apr 11, 2003
    I too have noticed this rainbow effect in my 3g 15 gig iPod .. but I think it's the way the light reflects off the screen. I tilt it a different way and it either disappears or moves locations. And of course .. like King Cobra said earlier .. turning on the backlight helps (well, if it's dark enough .. maybe not in direct sunlight)