Uh-oh. We're all f-ed

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iMax531, Sep 19, 2003.

1. iMax531 macrumors member

Trouble

The far reaching consequences of this can only be imagined -

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Why are they doing this? I see nothing wrong with ATM's today. The only thing this is going to do is infect my bank account with the Blaster Worm. :eek:

P-Worm

3. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

4. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

One thing I don't get...why would anyone want to buy a soda from an ATM? This is the innovation that Microsoft is going to bring to the banks? I guess since they don't have Apple to copy from this time, that's the best they could come up with.

5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Powerbook G5

It's so funny to see what happens when Microsoft tries to innovate on its own. It's actually quite easy to tell the difference between MS innovation and MS aping.

SPOT? What the hell do I need the weather or stock quotes on my watch for? I'll use a PDA with a larger screen while less likely to be banged asainst stucco or something.

They just-don't-get-it.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Thats BS about the Windows ATMs integrating with their business systems. Most banks Use high-end Unix servers for all their data storage and account data. Really its the Windows systems used by the tellers and bank managers that should be changed.

TEG

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

'lets dump the currently stable operating system with one full of holes and flaws!'
    '...But why?'
    'So they can access the corporate network!'
    'uhhh... wouldn't that mean they could get viruses that have plagued all internet connected windows based operating systems?'
    'No way, Microsoft says their products are grade A'

:eek:

8. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Ok, the guy said that they couldn't start spewing out cash because they're not connected to the internet, but if they're connected to the bank's network, it just takes one person to put a malicious program on the bank network, and wham-o, cash for everyone... And if the bank is in any way at all connected to the internet, if they're using windows, they are F*CKED. It's like putting a screen door on a vault made of reinforced concrete with 5 ft thick walls...

How can people be so stupid?

Ok, we know windows sucks, because it's full of security holes, so if you need security, logic tells you don't buy windows. Back during the whole firestone-ford explorer fiasco, if you wanted safety, you probably didn't want to buy a ford explorer with firestone tires, because of all the problems they were having. How can these people not see what can happen to them??? I mean, geez...

I will trust windows when they have an entirely new codebase, and you don't hear a story about a kid in his parent's attic hacking this system, or making a widespread virus...

9. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Bank Sys admins are loving this. They will all get raises.

10. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Ah, yes. The dangers of groupthink and a complete lack of common sense. How refreshing.

So, who wants to start a pool on whent he "First Great ATM Outtage" will be? And do you think that people will remember that at one time ATMs never went down, or will they consider it SOP?

Of course, we could just be overreacting a weensy bit. Then again, why would I want Microsoft to be in charge of my ATM privileges? Bad idea.

11. Ramsos macrumors regular

Ramsos

I just hope I'n nearby when a hacker infects them with a virus that makes them start spitting out $20 bills. Oh yea and sodas except they might hurt a little.

12. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

Personally, I don't think we'll be seeing much successful ATM hacking happening by the way it's being discussed. What does bother me about this is that by installing a Windows version on ATMs it provides encouragement by an order of magnitude for hackers and virus writers to try.

As a result, methinks the desktop windows world has seen nothing yet.

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

the question is WHY?? All I want from an ATM is my money... current ATMs do that... I'd be satisfied if ATMs used the current software 'til the day I die.

They're just upgrading for the sake of upgrading, not because anyone really needs it...:mad:

14. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

wow...bad idea. enough said. the real thing that bugs me is WHY!?!?! there dont seem to be great reasons.

OS/2 and OS/2 warp were some amazing pieces of software, and i think most people realize if microsoft werent evil there is a good chance that OS/2 would be a still dominant force!

but what features will windows ADD? i dont need more frickin features on my atm. im not web surfing there, i just need it to spit out money, take deposits and NOT break. i think they are about to ruin the third feature i so need.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

so... he doesn't know what "open" really means. i haven't used OS/2 since '96 or so, but i remember it implementing a lot of open standards.

now if OS/2 had let you drag icons around the desktop, then they might have had something.

16. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

"So we definitely can't rule out the possibility that someone in the future writes a Slammer-style worm that causes thousands of ATMs to start spewing out cash."

Now this is something I'd love to see! :D

17. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

When they go online I'm gonna bring a bag to catch all the money that flies out. I bet as soon as they go online some SoBig virus hits them and they all crash making us all wealthy:)

18. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

'Oh No! Whats happening?!!!?

THEY INSTALLED WINDOWS!

:mad rush for money:'

:p

19. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

So when Windows performs an "illegal operation", is the security guard going to arrest the ATM, the user, or Bill?