Uh oh

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jer446, Nov 10, 2006.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

My dad just got a new cell phone for work. I was going to make it easy for him and just transfer all the contacts through isync, and then sync them to his new phone. Without thinking, i forgot all my contacts were in there too. So all my contacts were merged on it again. Then i reverted back to my coppy of my address book so i would not have all of his contacts in there..
    So another stupid thing i did, i hit sync, so now all he has is MY contacts on his phone. How can i get his contacts back? I don't have a backup of it :(

2. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

do u have his old phone? with the addys on there?

if not... well, weekend is coming, you have plenty time to delete all your contacts

3. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is what i am saying... i have his old phone, but when i reverted to my phone book, i synced them up again, so now everything on his phone is just my phonebook.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

There is no saved copy anywhere on his phone (almost undoubtedly, unless it's a smartphone and he backed it up). You reverted to your old address book, so now, sadly, they're all lost.

If you can find a backup anywhere, you're golden, but it sure sounds like one doesn't exist.

5. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

7. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you do not:

- Have an Address Book database backup file (File -> Backup Address Book from inside the app)

- Have a backup of part/all of your HD that includes the library folder inside your home folder

- Another device or service (i.e. Google) that has the contacts on it

- A .previous file with the lost contacts as suggested in that other thread

Then I think you are SOL. Any one of those will take care of you. But if you didn't do any of them... Sorry. I think if that's the case, you have to write this off as a learning opportunity....

9. apb3 macrumors regular

apb3

As this poster said, "Another device." Once I thought I had done something similar but realized I had synched my iPod once a few months prior. I only lost a few contacts. Also, did you ever sync to iDisk - even just to try it out? Might be not entirely SOL in that case.

But, yeah, as painful as it may be it could be worse and it IS a learniogn experience. I bet you'll do a proper backup from now on.

10. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

TimeMachine... oh wait... :p

Sorry man. It sounds like you are going to bed early with no supper :D

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

In defense of the OP, this wasn't a matter of him doing a backup, but more one of his father having a backup of his contacts. As far as I can tell, the OP's contacts are still OK.

And just so I'm clear: there is nothing on the new phone? Or you put your contacts on both of his phones? I'm unclear as to what actually made it to the new phone as opposed to the old one.

12. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Unless he's still got his old phone intact... I'd hide all the bats and belts. Sorry dude.

13. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Ha. Ha.
    It's not 1892 buddy.

We have DCF. :)

14. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Yeah. And that's why we end up with kids like you :p

15. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

Haha lol that was good :D