Uh-Oh

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by me hate windows, Apr 24, 2002.

1. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

Oops, my brother was playing around on my Mac, cause he is thinking of getting one. He was looking at iMovie, and he accidentally deleted all of my projects. Is there anything that can get that stuff back. And I don't want to pay tons of money for DriveSavers or something like that.

THESE ARE REALLY IMPORTANT. I need help

Someone please help

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Unless you have a recent copy of Norton, you can pretty much kiss it all goodbye. Also, if you have used the drive, at all, since then, forget about it. Every time you write to the drive, the chance of recovering the files drops.

When I say a recent copy of Norton, I mean either version 6 or 7, nothing older.

Depending on how large the files were and the size of your drive, you could be searching it for hours. It is also best to try the retrieval to another hard drive.

Unless the projects cannot be done over, and worth the many hours spent to attempt the retrieval, just kill your brother.

3. me hate windows thread starter macrumors 6502

me hate windows

thanks for the help AlphaTech. Killing my brother is pretty high on my priority list right now.;)
    I don't have a copy of Norton, but could I install it onto my iPod from another computer and do it that way?
    If anyone knows anthing else, let me know. This is SUPER IMPORTANT. Some of it I have backed up, but the newer stuff, I don't.:(

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Uh-Oh

He accidently deleted your projects? Huh? Seems hard to do by accident... you sure the files are themselves gone - and not just the project files?

arn

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I would boot from the Norton cd, and pull them back onto the iPod. That way if you don't get it the first time. Otherwise, you risk writing over the files before recovering them.

6. me hate windows thread starter macrumors 6502

me hate windows

Re: Re: Uh-Oh

They are gone, I don't know how he did it, but they are all gone.

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

me hate windows, in that case... get a rope :D and then get Norton System Works (has NUM, NAV and a few other goodies on the cd) and use it to recover the files. I just hope you haven't been using the computer since your bro messed you up.

8. me hate windows thread starter macrumors 6502

me hate windows

when you say *boot* from the Norton CD, do you mean run the program right off of it? and when you say *pull them onto the iPod* you mean write them to the iPod? Am I correct? Forgive my idiotness about this.

9. me hate windows thread starter macrumors 6502

me hate windows

I'm on my imac right now so I dont mess stuff up. I only shut it down, cause I know I can lose it all.

10. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Boot as in use that to start your computer... Have NUM use the iPod as the drive to send the recovered files to. I guess you have never used NUM on a computer, even, not booted a computer from a cd.

11. me hate windows thread starter macrumors 6502

me hate windows

Thanks, I will go get a copy of Norton tomorrow. This better work or there will be some blood on the floor.:D

12. me hate windows thread starter macrumors 6502

me hate windows

OK, I am fine now. I got a copy of Norton and I got all my files back. From now on I will always have a backup copy of everything. Norton was pretty expensive, but I made my brother pay for half.:D

Thanks for all the help

13. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Once you buy Norton, you get the updates at a reduced price.

Did you get Norton System Works, or just Norton Utilities???

When it is time for a update purchase, I seriously recommend going direct to Symantec. That way you don't have to **** around with mail-in rebates.

14. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Backup

Be sure to keep hard copies of your files ie The tapes where the files came from, its better than losing everything. I keep an organized shelf of my tapes(I never delete them) Hard copies are vital especially if you do this kind stuff for school! (I'm gonna go into movies when I grow up.