Uhh its booting to darwin, done what i could-10.4.2

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stevey500, Aug 5, 2005.

1. stevey500 macrumors 6502

Well... While my mac running 10.4.2 was running I accidently unplugged the dang tower... I plugged it back in and waited for boot, It got to the welcome to macintosh loading screen.... the loading bar hit the end and the window dissapeared as it should... blue screen with cursor... waited for my wallpaper to show, cursor disapeared!! Suddenly the little "circling animated loading icon" displayed on the screen as it usualy would when os/x is shutting down. I was then shown a black screen... running in darwin at login. I logged in darwin fine... but I cant get os.x to run?!?!?! I shut down and booted off install disk, I was expecting there to be a repair option, but no... it said I have a newer version of os/x already installed :rolleyes: wtF? is this cause of the 10.4.2 update installed? Anyways, I did a disk repair and permission repair.... all done successfully, restarted... same thing, I booted off an old panter install that i had on an old hard drive, and I was able to read all my files with no problem thats in my tiger 10.4.2 drive... I just cant boot successfuly off it, it just brings me to the darwin login screen.... any help is GREATLY appreciated!

steve

2. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

3. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

C:> cd windows
    C:> win

Replace user and press any key to continue. Abort <A>, Retry <R>, Cancel <C> ? :

@Echo on

Display ("Sorry, I can't help you").

^z

C:\windows> cd..
    C:\windows> exit

Bad command or filename.

4. lordsinforge macrumors member

You want the archive and install option, it will move your old system folder aside and install a new clean one from the install media whilst maintaining your documents and user settings, when you get to the screen that tells you you can't install because you have a newer version installed look for the "customize" button.

As for why this happened, the unplug likley corrupted some system files and your getting kicked into single user mode on boot (likley a finder/window manager related file)

LS

5. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

Will it mess with my Root Library folder and would I have to reisntall PHP, and my other web server apps? thanks

6. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

if It's booting in single user mode, run fsck -yf (ONLY IF THE DRIVE IS MOUNTED READ-ONLY!!!), then mount it read/write and run diskutil repairPermissions /, then type reboot and hit enter to reboot. If it still logs in to Darwin, type logout and see if that does it. If not, reinstall the OS from CD/DVD.

7. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well... while I was doin an archive install, the install stopped because of errors of newer files already existing in the applications folder... so I restarted and attempted to resume the archive install, well.. this time it thought there was no OS installed on my Tiger drive, I hit options and pressed archive install anyways, and continued install, so now its installing. Will I be able to restore my User account still :eek: Im feeling very nervous... my user folder is just about 18gb in size, thousands of files.