Uhh PC Mag says Apple/Intel for sure??

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Xero, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Xero macrumors 6502

ok if this was already posted then please kill this thread, but the article was released on the 18th of March and i dont see anything about it here on MR yet.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,939886,00.asp

this looks like a lot of guess work by a pretty established magazine. weird. and even more weird if theres any truth to it.

EDIT: i realize that some of the stuff mentioned in the article has already been discussed, but i thought id relay this story to MR forums anyways, since it i beleive it could be some cause for discussion.

2. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I think that this has alot of merit. Lets go over the facts,

1. Apple has been frustrated with lower clock speeds from Motorola.

2. Darwin already runs on x86 processors

But I do not think it will be a certainty. I think this is Apple's ace in the hole. They can probably be ready to release x86 based computers at short notice.

3. vniow macrumors G4

'nuff said

4. Xero thread starter macrumors 6502

Re: 'nuff said

vniow

well, im not to familiar with the guy, but his name does ring a bell, so your probably right. as rumors go, too good/bad/ugly/stupid/outragous/demented to be true. :p

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Re: Re: 'nuff said

Dvorak is as anti-Macite as they come. He wants the Mac to die and its people too.

He's predicted the death of Apple Computer to be imminent about, oh, 50,000 times.

6. cubist macrumors 68020

Dvorak says that Apple is going to use the Itanium AKA IA-64, not the x86 AKA IA-32.

If he had predicted Apple would use the x86, there's about a 0.01% probability of him being right. But when he predicts Apple will go to the Itanium, the "chip of death", that's laughably absurd.

I hope.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Dvorak really prewed the scooch with that prediction... :eek:

Itanium, yeah right -- and we are all waiting for the return of the insanely high priced Macs.

I'm sure the consumers will line up around block for their $5000 iTanic iMacs while the powerTanics melt credit cards with their $12000 price tag.

---

I exagerated, not much, but the Itanium2 should cost a bit more than a top of the line PowerMac -- should give you a nice 900MHz single CPU iTanic machine to play with.

HP iTanic Workstations zx2000 - low end

HP iTanic Workstations zx6000 - duals and such

Now that should really help with the perceived MHz gap when slapped in a Mac. :rolleyes:

8. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Gents

Perhapse Dvorak and Ballmer should do a tango at the next Microsoft company rally.

How 'bout TWO dancingmonkeyboys?

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I guess this pc mag never heard of the Ibm 970," ahem" the one with altivec built into in it. John also says apple will make a ppc&intel combo machine,this PC nut iam sure does not use a mac nor really know what one is. Also i can just see jobs telling all those companies, oh by the way you can now write code for a intel based mac. Give me a Break maybe he is a Troll.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

That about describes Dvorak. I always liked Qwerty better anyway.

11. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

What the hell is this guy thinking? Not only are his "predictions" (I will use that term very loosely. More like stabs in the dark.) crazy, but they show a complete disregard for the work being done on the 970, altivec, and the coments made by people at IBM saying that they had apple in mind for the chip. He has clearly gone insane, perhaps from too much acid, or pcp as an adolescent. If this is the kind of reporting this guy does, the people who pay him should be shown this article so they can see what a terrible mistake they have made in hiring him to write for them. He should also be given immediate dismissal from his employment.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I think he was just rambling on and talking about something he knows nothing of. He would have done better perhaps talking about the sex life of the Hummingbird!

13. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Dont Hurt Me

Do the birds hum, buzz, or moan?

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

15. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Wouldn't it be great to have an Itanium in a laptop? 15 minutes of battery life, but the best damned laptop performance in the world for that 15 minutes! (And the biggest damned blisters on your legs of ANY laptop!)

16. Steradian macrumors 6502

hey this has been done before....here and Here
    maybe you guys should do a search Before you start another thread...And this is total Brain Spew....it's non-Sense..

17. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Wake up.... know your history. Any OS that switched to x86 died shortly after.

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Yup. I've said this before -- Apple is not an OS company.

They are a hardware compnay, like Dell, Gateway, HPCompaq, Sony, etc.

Which, incidentally, is why comparing OS market share to prove Apple's weakness is a fallacy.

95% vs. 5% looks terrible. (MS OS v Mac OS)

35% vs. 4% doesn't look so bad in a crowded field. (Dell v. Apple hardware)

Why do you think Apple has foregone all these ridiculous anti-piracy and registration things? Because they don't give a crap if someone shares a copy of Jaguar with a handful of friends, so long as those people keep buying new hardware. If someone shares a copy of XP with a few friends, that's MS's only source of profit taking a hit.

If Apple were to switch to Intel, they'd have to switch to Windows and stick to making the hardware. You cannot compete against a monopoly in their own game.

That's why Apple is still alive. And I mean that's the only reason. If Apple didn't have hardware to sell, MS would have buried them years ago.

19. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

Please, let it not come so far. ppc architecture is much better than x86. ia 32 or 64...
    :(

20. sawaguchishinji macrumors member

His opinion is the funniest prediction about Mac future

21. charboneau macrumors member

I've wondered about Dvorak's Mac hatred for years. Maybe it's because the Mac is the computer of artists and he's got some kind of failed artist Hitler thing going.

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

LOL

like this?