Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
My bet is LG is the maker of the iPhone and decided they wanted a piece of the action. Maybe LG will be sued by Apple. Not Apple by LG.

shunpike

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2006
Oxford, UK
lol - doubt there is a lawsuit there - but it is interesting - obviously Microsoft aren't the only company to borrow ideas?

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
I don't see the big deal. To me, the funtionality of the iPhone is nice, and one of the major reasons I would want it. It is no suprise, however, that the tasks the iPhone can do are not original. It can't really do anything new, and the big touchscreen isn't really new.

The attractive thing about the iPhone is apple's patented touch system, and that it is an apple product, so you know it will be of the highest quality, from a name we all trust and love. The funtionality and appearance aren't what is revolutionary or original about the iPhone, it's the all-inclusive product as a whole.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I don't see the big deal. To me, the funtionality of the iPhone is nice, and one of the major reasons I would want it. It is no suprise, however, that the tasks the iPhone can do are not original. It can't really do anything new, and the big touchscreen isn't really new.

The attractive thing about the iPhone is apple's patented touch system, and that it is an apple product, so you know it will be of the highest quality, from a name we all trust and love. The funtionality and appearance aren't what is revolutionary or original about the iPhone, it's the all-inclusive product as a whole.

I think the big deal here is that Apple were so secretive about the iPhone but LG were working on the exact same product and even launched it first from my understanding. Who's reinventing what?

Eric Piercey

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2006
Perpetual Bondage
I think LG is just the designer of the iPhone, that simple. They designed a cool phone, pitched it to Apple, and Apple said hmmmk -let's dance!

Or not, but that seems likely.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
I saw this over at engadget, but do we know if the LG is stylus based or finger-touch based?

The finger touch-i-ness alone would diferentiate them quite a bit, and I am guessing the LG will end up being Korea/Japan only, wheras the iPhone will be American first (which almost never happens), European second, and Asian 3rd (quite the roll reversal)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
the LG phone made a bit of noise a few weeks ago when it was shown off

it looks sweet, but for some reason it doesn't have the flair of the Apple phone. and i believe it would be Apple suing LG and not the other way around due to the various patents that Apple has applied for. but then again i could be wrong.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that both companies came up with the same design. It was inevitable that phones would migrate this way, wasn't it? We've had touch-screens for a long time, it was just a matter of time before companies started implementing touch keyboards so as to give them more screen real estate.

I don't think either company will be suing the other, unless LG has indeed infringed on some patent Applied filed for long ago. Because I don't think you can patent a rectangle with a large display. :)

As others here have said, it's the Multi-Touch and the software that are the big winners on the iPhone, not just the fact that it's got a large display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.