Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Mr_Brightside_@, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68000

Sep 23, 2005
    The 6ix
    um... i'm only getting about 3 and maybe a half hours off my new ibook battery. an anyone tell me what i shoulda done/ can do? (this is only the second time actually using the battery; do i plug it in when it tells me or when it goes to slpee? thanks
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    To calibrate it (once a month) leave it unplugged until it falls asleep from having no juice. There'll be a warning about ten minutes prior telling you it's using the reserve.

For longer battery life, turn the processor speed down to Reduced in the Energy Saver preferences. Turn the screen brightness down. Turn Bluetooth and AirPort off unless you're using them.

Although 3.5 hours isn't great, it's not that bad either.
  3. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    what are you doing when getting 3.5 hours? are you working on huge files in photoshop with the backlight at 100% and ae/bt on? or are you just browsing th e web?
  4. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    Thats not bad at all. With my powerbook I'll be happy to get an hour with all wireless off, reduced performance, and screen on the lowest setting. New batterys are $150 and I can't justify it when I rarely use my powerbook on battery.
  5. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2005
    I get three hours plus with airport and brightness halfway to max in class. Just keep cycleing the battery since its brand new.
  6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    When you know youre gonna need the battery to last as long as possible, turn the brightness all the way down. I know it makes it harder to see the screen, but it improves battery life dramatically.
  7. reberto macrumors 65816

Jul 20, 2005
    Just drain the batttery, fully recharge it and you should get some more power.
  8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

Calibrating the battery doesn't give you more power but rather it gives your Mac a better idea of how much power it has. :)
  9. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2005
    Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
    Contrary to the opinions of some here, 3.5 hours on a new iBook is NOT acceptable.

My iBook is coming up on 3 months old and I still get over 5 hours of battery life with AE on the whole time.

I'm not sure what to suggest to improve that. You might want to check system profiler, see how many charge cycles you've gone through, and post that here.
  10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

Agreed. But is it a new iBook or a new iBook battery (and an old iBook)? :)
  11. northernleitz macrumors member

Sep 13, 2005
    Rural Alaska
    Weather, humidity, etc. can have an impact on battery life as well. But I think the Apple tips on extending battery life are key. I am surprised no one else here brought up having a disc in the optical drive, as in don't.

And one more thing, chucknorris... Go Vandals!
  12. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    I have an iBook 700 G3 and I can still work on it for 4 hours straight on the battery, and that includes folding @ home running in the background!
  13. Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68000

Sep 23, 2005
    The 6ix
    its a new ibook with a new battery, and i just turned off bluetooth cuz i never use it, i use better battery life when im on battery (did the "presentations" battery setting disappear with tiger???)
    Battery Power:
    System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 5
    Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 1
    Dynamic Power Step: No
    Reduce Processor Speed: Yes
    Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No
    Wake On AC Change: No
    Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
    Wake On Modem Ring: No
    Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
    ReduceBrightness: 1

Battery Information:

Battery Installed: Yes
    First low level warning: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4350
    Remaining Capacity (mAh): 124
    Amperage (mA): 1966
    Voltage (mV): 11358
    Cycle Count: 3
    theres the info; its charging now
    ps does taking out the battery when its fully charged make a difference to anything? i know i can mess with date and time
    pps do any ibooks have the thingy that holds energy for a couple minutes when not plugged in and not connected to a battery? - like when switching batteries? i no pbs do