Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
So some of you might have seen my previous thread I made asking about the new MacBook. Well now I've had it for a few days and while I love the build of it and that they actually removed so many ports (that I didn't use anyways) I can't help but getting annoyed by the UI lag.

The worst lag is in iTunes. Some people have said that's just iTunes for you but my 2013 retina MacBook was flawless in iTunes. And everything else for that matter. Even the I Mac i sold to buy this computer didn't lag like this and I didn't even have a SSD in that one. Also there is this forum I visit all the time that is lagging EXTREMELY much. Yet again I've never had this problem before.

May I just have gotten a bad laptop or is it just like this with every MacBook? Swiping between windows with 3 fingers also lags. Same thing when I open the lid. My retina MacBook would start instantly. Like fade in as I was opening the lid. But this one takes longer for it to come alive...

This is in my opinion not ok at all. It's the latest version that was released as well. I think I'll return it and hope for new MacBooks next month. Will be a pain not having a computer for about a month though

kitt9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
So some of you might have seen my previous thread I made asking about the new MacBook. Well now I've had it for a few days and while I love the build of it and that they actually removed so many ports (that I didn't use anyways) I can't help but getting annoyed by the UI lag.

The worst lag is in iTunes. Some people have said that's just iTunes for you but my 2013 retina MacBook was flawless in iTunes. And everything else for that matter. Even the I Mac i sold to buy this computer didn't lag like this and I didn't even have a SSD in that one. Also there is this forum I visit all the time that is lagging EXTREMELY much. Yet again I've never had this problem before.

May I just have gotten a bad laptop or is it just like this with every MacBook? Swiping between windows with 3 fingers also lags. Same thing when I open the lid. My retina MacBook would start instantly. Like fade in as I was opening the lid. But this one takes longer for it to come alive...

This is in my opinion not ok at all. It's the latest version that was released as well. I think I'll return it and hope for new MacBooks next month. Will be a pain not having a computer for about a month though

It was mainly an iTunes issue. Update to 12.4 that was released last week, that is a much much smoother experience.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I think it has more to do with El Capitan than the hardware. I've noticed the same lag on all three of the MB Airs in my office.

izzyfanto

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
Zero problems here. No lag. Great performance. 2016 m3.

Try wiping and reinstalling OS X. If I ever have issues, I just do clean installs on both OS X and iOS devices. Did you do a migration or time machine restore coming from your Mac?

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Zero problems here. No lag. Great performance. 2016 m3.

Try wiping and reinstalling OS X. If I ever have issues, I just do clean installs on both OS X and iOS devices. Did you do a migration or time machine restore coming from your Mac?
Why should I need to reinstall OS X on a brand new computer though? No I did a fresh start!

Reactions: dmnc

izzyfanto

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
Why should I need to reinstall OS X on a brand new computer though? No I did a fresh start!
I don't have lag and you do. Just a thought. Usually solves my problems. The other problem might be a particular program running in the background.

cursedearth

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011
I really don't see any issue with your laptop other than the second tab you opened. I was actually surprised to see the difference between the problems that you've posted and the video. You're definitely blowing it out of proportion which is understandable since you've just bought an expensive device and you'd want it to be flawless but there's really nothing wrong .

I just checked the website and the lag is jus as bad as yours. I'd blame the lag on bad coding.

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
I really don't see any issue with your laptop other than the second tab you opened. I was actually surprised to see the difference between the problems that you've posted and the video. You're definitely blowing it out of proportion which is understandable since you've just bought an expensive device and you'd want it to be flawless but there's really nothing wrong .

I just checked the website and the lag is jus as bad as yours. I'd blame the lag on bad coding.
But the website didn't lag like that on my iMac though... And how do you explain the long wait time from sleep?

izzyfanto

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
I really don't see any issue with your laptop other than the second tab you opened. I was actually surprised to see the difference between the problems that you've posted and the video. You're definitely blowing it out of proportion which is understandable since you've just bought an expensive device and you'd want it to be flawless but there's really nothing wrong. I just checked the website and the lag is jus as bad as yours. I'd blame the lag on bad coding.
It might just be because it's a Kanye forum ;-) lol Seriously though, the wait time upon opening the lid is a little long. Try restarting your MB, don't open the forum, shut the lid, then reopen. I am guessing the website might be running a badly coded script in the background which might be the reason for the delay since it's in the background. I don't see any lag on the MR page or iTunes.

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
It might just be because it's a Kanye forum ;-) lol Seriously though, the wait time upon opening the lid is a little long. Try restarting your MB, don't open the forum, shut the lid, then reopen. I am guessing the website might be running a badly coded script in the background which might be the reason for the delay since it's in the background. I don't see any lag on the MR page or iTunes.
There is no lag on MR that was just to compare with the Kanye site. In iTunes listen when I click to open an album and she. It actually opens. The graphics are not smooth as well

izzyfanto

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
There is no lag on MR that was just to compare with the Kanye site. In iTunes listen when I click to open an album and she. It actually opens. The graphics are not smooth as well
Yeah not sure why the lag on the site. Mine has to it too when I just checked it out now. I can even use TheVerge.com and it is loaded with heavy graphics and scripts and it doesn't lag for me. It really must be that site is poorly optimized. Is your Mac a quad core? dGPU?

I don't have any lag with iTunes or three finger swiping between windows.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Hmm, I have the 2016--though it is the m7--and it's got no lag issues as at all. In iTunes now, scrolling and such. I have tried many blogs as well with no issues. Though, when it comes to iTunes, I am pretty sure you've got a lot more music than me (I have about 600 songs.) Not sure if that would affect it. If possible, maybe take it back to an Apple store and compare against other MacBooks in the store? Good luck

Edit: finally figured out which forum you were on. That one DOES lag pretty badly for me. I think it is the website since others are fine and I have really fast internet.

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Yeah not sure why the lag on the site. Mine has to it too when I just checked it out now. I can even use TheVerge.com and it is loaded with heavy graphics and scripts and it doesn't lag for me. It really must be that site is poorly optimized. Is your Mac a quad core? dGPU?

I don't have any lag with iTunes or three finger swiping between windows.
My iMac was i5 and dedicated gpu yes
Hmm, I have the 2016--though it is the m7--and it's got no lag issues as at all. In iTunes now, scrolling and such. I have tried many blogs as well with no issues. Though, when it comes to iTunes, I am pretty sure you've got a lot more music than me (I have about 600 songs.) Not sure if that would affect it. If possible, maybe take it back to an Apple store and compare against other MacBooks in the store? Good luck

Edit: finally figured out which forum you were on. That one DOES lag pretty badly for me. I think it is the website since others are fine and I have really fast internet.
i have like 3500 songs. But it might perhaps be the gpu that is lagging. I'll try today to turn off safari then close the lid and open and see if it still takes time for it to come to life. Otherwise I'll just have to live with this

WillemSleegers

macrumors member
May 2, 2016
Just posting to say that I also notice the UI lag in my own MacBook sometimes and I definitely see it in the video posted here. The non-smooth animations are indeed annoying. My previous MacBook Air felt a lot faster in that regard.

Reactions: TheMountainLife

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
i also experience a bit of a lag on some activity that is graphic intensive .. like when i open multiple window for my ragnarok game... initial loading time is longer and sometimes frozen error on windows 10 ... same with my imac 2012 ..
no other stuffs running other than the game but multiple windows. but it loads up the game is running smooth...

of course this is not a gaming laptop so i cant expect much .....

where is it

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
England

The lag you show in the video is actually down to how webpages are drawn these days.

The off screen content is loaded as the webpage is scrolled to save bandwidth. If you have an ever so slow internet connection or an album cover that wasn't compressed enough then that can easily show up as a slight lag.

Certain web browsers cache webpages differently so the lag is not visible, Chrome is quite good for caching ahead. Apples Webkit which is used in Safari and iTunes generally stutter unless you are on a fibre connection.

Don't worry to much about it - blame poor software development.

SchodMC

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2013
Germany
Just posting to say that I also notice the UI lag in my own MacBook sometimes and I definitely see it in the video posted here. The non-smooth animations are indeed annoying. My previous MacBook Air felt a lot faster in that regard.
What Macbook do you have? Also an m3 / m5 / m7? Would be interesting if it lags on all Macbook types.

And about the lag: Have my m3 a couple of days yet. When it has a lot of work to do (like seeing up everything the first time, or using a lot of UI space switching for benchmark purposes) it could lag. But in the daily needs, everything is fine. I think. Of course an MBP is faster, but for Internet / Office work, I for my self noticed, that the macbook is a fine machine to work with. I feel no difference with my old MBA 2013 base model. Even with an external monitor (1080p) plugged in.

At the beginning I also noticed some UI lags from time to time, until I started to work with it. I don't know, but I think that Apple made some optimization with one OS update. And again I think that El Captain is not the best optimization work Apple has done for now. But internet pages like The Verge or Google image search are fine and without lag. Even Facebook works well - as long as it don't have the typical Facebook lag that will be shown on all machines because of how the page is loading stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.