Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
My MacBook Air and my retina MacBook are running the same software, so it's not software.

The main difference? Hardware, specifically the retina screen.
It is the software. The hardware is powerful enough. However, OS X doesn't make as good a use of the GPU as Windows 10.

Reactions: Mcmeowmers

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
It's OS X. That lag has been present since Mavericks or so when they added transparency effects. Simply disable that and it's smooth... Not the answer you were hoping for.

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
It's OS X. That lag has been present since Mavericks or so when they added transparency effects. Simply disable that and it's smooth... Not the answer you were hoping for.
I'll try that. But doesn't it look ugly then?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I'll try that. But doesn't it look ugly then?
IMHO yea, I'm a fan of the transparency, but if it alleviates the issue then it blows your "hardware not powerful enough for a retina screen" theory right out of the water.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
Because in HiDPI / Retina mode, you have a gorgeous screen, but a screen that renders at 2880*1800 (for the more space option) - twice the size the MBA has to render, or 2560x1600 (for the default) - twice the size the non-retina MBP has to render.

That's not twice the size, it's 4 times the pixels (twice horizontally, twice vertically)

Reactions: SchodMC

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Okay; thanks for your input.
[doublepost=1464035741][/doublepost]

Doesn't that remove the entire advantage of the retina display, i.e., the gorgeous display?
Perhaps. It looks better with the pre set resolution. I'll stick with it tbh

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
Lmao! At above

Yeah it kind of looks ugly imo.

I wish you could set other resolutions that wouldn't cause fonts to be rendered rediculously ugly, jagged, and too small.

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Well i got some good news for me at least. The forum lag is gone. I searched the forum and found that the solution to the lag was solved by changing the background to plain grey

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Lmao! At above

Yeah it kind of looks ugly imo.

I wish you could set other resolutions that wouldn't cause fonts to be rendered rediculously ugly, jagged, and too small.

You can with this hack. I'm running 1536x960 with HiDPI and I find that it really is the sweet spot in terms of screen estate and font size.

Reactions: 997440

WillemSleegers

macrumors member
May 2, 2016
It is the software. The hardware is powerful enough. However, OS X doesn't make as good a use of the GPU as Windows 10.

So how does that explain that my MBA runs smoothly and my rMB less so, regarding animations in UI?
[doublepost=1464122453][/doublepost]
IMHO yea, I'm a fan of the transparency, but if it alleviates the issue then it blows your "hardware not powerful enough for a retina screen" theory right out of the water.

That's not true. If you disable some of the requirements it actually demonstrates that the hardware couldn't pull it off.
[doublepost=1464122496][/doublepost]
Well i got some good news for me at least. The forum lag is gone. I searched the forum and found that the solution to the lag was solved by changing the background to plain grey

That's very interesting to me; and I must say that I'm skeptical. What was your background previously?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
So how does that explain that my MBA runs smoothly and my rMB less so, regarding animations in UI?
The MBA has a lower resolution screen that doesn't tax the GPU as much. So it renders OK even with OS X's sub-optimal use of the GPU. A fairer comparison would be Windows 10 in Boot Camp vs OS X. The former would get better GPU performance while the latter gets better battery life. Microsoft and Apple focus on different things.

Reactions: Mcmeowmers

WillemSleegers

macrumors member
May 2, 2016
The MBA has a lower resolution screen that doesn't tax the GPU as much. So it renders OK even with OS X's sub-optimal use of the GPU.

Yeah, that's what I think too. It bums me out that Apple is willing to accept degradation in performance with the retina models. =(

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014

That's not true. If you disable some of the requirements it actually demonstrates that the hardware couldn't pull it off.

That's very interesting to me; and I must say that I'm skeptical. What was your background previously?
I had the grey flowers

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
You can with this hack. I'm running 1536x960 with HiDPI and I find that it really is the sweet spot in terms of screen estate and font size.

Wait whhhattt! Is the text readable and not some jaggy mess when you pick a custom resolution?
[doublepost=1464139280][/doublepost]

I would guess that with a solid background simplifies the algorithm apple uses for transparency allowing for fewer calculations

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Wait whhhattt! Is the text readable and not some jaggy mess when you pick a custom resolution?

Yes. HiDPI means it uses the built-in DPI scaling engine, rather than just running the screen at a non-native resolution that RDM and other tools normally do. It's as sharp as at 1440x900, but slightly smaller, so you get more screen estate. 1680x1050 is also an option, but I found it to be a bit too small for my liking, although you can quickly switch using RDM (it adds new 1536x900 HiDPI and 1680x1050 HiDPI options).

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
Yes. HiDPI means it uses the built-in DPI scaling engine, rather than just running the screen at a non-native resolution that RDM and other tools normally do. It's as sharp as at 1440x900, but slightly smaller, so you get more screen estate. 1680x1050 is also an option, but I found it to be a bit too small for my liking, although you can quickly switch using RDM (it adds new 1536x900 HiDPI and 1680x1050 HiDPI options).

Thank you so much for this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.