1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

UIButton title will not show!???

Discussion in 'iPhone/iPad Programming' started by ArtOfWarfare, Dec 8, 2009.

1. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

I've been going through both the Developer Documentation on this and Googling for answers for an hour or two now, and I just can't seem to find out why this isn't working.

I have a custom class based off of UIAlertView...

Code:
    - (id)initWithTitle:(NSString *)title message:(NSString *)message delegate:(id)delegate cancelButtonTitle:(NSString *)cancelButtonTitle otherButtonTitles:(NSString *)otherButtonTitles, ...
    {
        if (self = [super initWithTitle:@"Add Assignment" message:@" \n  \n  \n " delegate:(id)delegate cancelButtonTitle:@"Cancel" otherButtonTitles:@"Add", nil])
    	{
    		// New Assignment Name
    		addAssignmentName = [[UITextField alloc] initWithFrame:CGRectMake(12.0, 45.0, 260.0, 27.0)];
    		addAssignmentName.borderStyle = UITextBorderStyleRoundedRect;
    		addAssignmentName.autocapitalizationType = UITextAutocapitalizationTypeWords;
    		addAssignmentName.autocorrectionType = UITextAutocorrectionTypeNo;
    		addAssignmentName.placeholder = @"New Assignment Name";
    		[self addSubview:addAssignmentName];
    		[addAssignmentName becomeFirstResponder];
    		[addAssignmentName release];

// New Assignment Class Name
    		addAssignmentClass = [[UIButton buttonWithType:UIButtonTypeRoundedRect] initWithFrame:CGRectMake(12.0, 90.0, 260.0, 37.0)];
    		[addAssignmentClass setTitle:@"Select Class" forState:UIControlStateNormal];
    		[addAssignmentClass setTitleColor:[UIColor blackColor] forState:UIControlStateNormal];
    		addAssignmentClass.backgroundColor = [UIColor clearColor];
    		addAssignmentClass.titleLabel.adjustsFontSizeToFitWidth = TRUE;
    		[addAssignmentClass addTarget:self action:@selector(selectClass:) forControlEvents:UIControlEventTouchUpInside];
    		[self addSubview:addAssignmentClass];

[self setTransform:CGAffineTransformMakeTranslation(0.0, 85.0)];
        }
        return self;
    }
    The UITextField shows up just fine, but all I get for the UIButton is a rounded rectangle.

Upon further inspection, I found that changing the button type I initiate with to a UIButtonTypeCustom will properly display the title, but not the background.

So why isn't the button displaying the title when I change it to a RoundedRect type? Trying to make a rounded rect button in Interface Builder and giving it a title worked just fine; why doesn't it work programmatically? (It's easier to set the button up programmatically since it's being added to a UIAlertView.)

2. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Sorry don't have an answer, but I saw this:
    Code:
    addAssignmentClass = [[UIButton buttonWithType:UIButtonTypeRoundedRect] initWithFrame:CGRectMake(12.0, 90.0, 260.0, 37.0)];
    Don't do that. Instead, do this:
    Code:
    addAssignmentClass = [UIButton buttonWithType:UIButtonTypeRoundedRect];
    addAssignmentClass.frame = CGRectMake(12.0, 90.0, 260.0, 37.0);
    buttonWithType: is already calling an initialization method, so you don't need to call it again.

3. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

Thanks!

Changing that fixed it perfectly!

The odd things that happen when you misuse initWithFrame...