UK 360 Today!

Discussion in 'Games' started by greatdevourer, Dec 2, 2005.

1. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Who's getting one? Unfortunatly, I'm short of cash at the moment, so I can't get one, but still, who is?

2. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

Im curious to know if there is as much of a shortage there as there was here...

3. Sic macrumors 6502

well, my brother went to GAME at 7:30 to get his. they had 4 core systems which sold in 5 minutes, but still had Premiums (his was the last one)...they opened at 7:30. it appears that we might have a shortage as they didnt have enough in to cover their preorders. i personally think a lot of people are going to be pretty pissed at this - what's the point in offering a preorder if you can't stick to it??

4. krollster macrumors member

The manager at my local woolworths guaranteed me I'd have a 360 in my hands on the day of the launch if I pre-ordered. Anyway, after the US experience (delays, faulty equip etc.) I decided to wait until the new year. On a whim I went into Woolworths this morning and asked if they had any 360s left. Needless to say I was pretty happy with my decision when the sales assistant told me they didn't receive any stock at all. So much for guarantees!

I do hope that people in the UK who got one are enjoying it.

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

depends where you live:

i checked the stores in my town and a friend did in his: while in the 4 big stores here some core packages and very few premiums in his town in all the stores there were at least 7-10 core and up to 5 premiums at _10-11am_

check the "xbox360 review" thread for my whole launch review

6. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

From the pre-order thread on overclockers.co.uk (30 pages long!!) peoples are being to arrive, and some lucky folks have got theirs from stores. One guy just turned up to a store in central Liverpool (I'm presuming Dixons) and walked away with 3!!!

However - the bad news, under which I fall......Amazon

Everybody who seems to have pre-ordered with them still has "Not Yet Dispatched" on their account page. Nothing happening. To make matters worse, they seem to be shipping in a random order based on where their depots are - not first come first served - people who ordered back on August are going without whilst there are reports of those who ordered in Sept/Oct are receiving theirs.

Just in case you missed it too Amazon have changed their policy so that only one premium pack per customer can be ordered, so to enable their stock to go further.

If I don't have a despatched email by the end of today, I'll be expecting my 360 next year....

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

My 2 arrived today from play.com

So I popped into town and bought PG Racing 3, Kameo, Condemned, Call of Duty 2, Perfect Dark & Quake 4

Strange thing is they had Dead or Alive on the shelves at 69.99 Euro but I thought it was put back till febuary.

Can anyone confirm whether Dead or Alive 4 was actually released today??? :confused:

Got the blue faceplate (so cool looking) and hooked everything up to my DTS/5.1 Dolby and HDTV.

Oh and Xbox Live on the 360 does work with ISDN (I signed up earlier and already played a quick race on PG3 and downloaded Geometry Wars - obviously takes longer to download stuff but online gaming is fine with ISDN :D

Can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080i on my set to be honest.

8. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

You won't be able to, in most games. 720p renders fast action better and is slightly less resolution than 1080i, but draws the entire frame (visually) at once. 1080i has more resolution but draws the frame on two passes.

9. greatdevourer thread starter macrumors 68000

It's worse. My local GameStation have 2. Yes, that's right. 2.

However, I should be able to get a friend's father to "secure" one for me ;)

10. cvalda macrumors member

For those bitching about preorders not being filled: Don't blame it on the place that you preordered at. When they opened preorders earlier this year, they were told by Microsoft that they would be able to fill demand for x amount of systems. Then, just now, Microsoft decided to cut down the amount of systems that would be released to each store. It's not the store's fault they only got in half of their preorders or whatever, they're not the ones who control the supply.

Also, Microsoft IS creating artificial demand. A co-worker of mine is a manager at a Blockbuster (video rental store in America), and they have a warehouse FULL of 360s. She said that there are easily over 1,000 360s in there but were told by MS not to sell any of them until told to do so. Go MS, go.

11. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

That is true, but this problem has been further compounded by certain retailers - Amazon the biggest culprit - through mistakes and poor despatch policies/systems.
    A lot of people who pre-ordered first haven't yet got their 360's, yet people who ordered in late Sept/Oct have. They don't update the despatch dates on the customers account page (mine still shows an estimated delivery date of today or Monday, yet I know full well that I ordered too late for it to be true. I would like a more realistic date to appear) and Amazon have only contacted thsoe who email/snail mailed them to complain. In cases were they were told that "sorry, it's just not going to happen" they have received a compensation voucher of value between £3-£10. Which is just adding insult to injury.

So yes, MS is at fault here, but I understand the economics behind the lower initial stock levels (create only enough factories to meet demand in the future/quick release of the system not allowing massive stockpiling) but some retailers are at fault too.