UK acts, the right to keep your life personal

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Paul Wright, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Paul Wright macrumors regular

Paul Wright

Hey so i was wondering in the UK, what acts are there that state you have the right to keep your life personal? I was first of all thinking the data protection act of 1998 but its not really data so can some of you guys help me out.

I want to know what act would state that i have the right not to say what i do in my personal life... its just my ex girlfriend is spreading stuff about me and i just want to know what acts there are that will stop her from saying stuff about me, its just shes making up all sorts of stuff which i do in my spare time, which doesnt happen, im sorry if this doesnt make sense but all i really want to know if there is an act of the uk parliament that gives me the right to keep my life personal :confused:

Just to add, What i do in my personal life isn't illegal or anything i just want what i do to be personal

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Not too hot on the law but wouldn't slander cover this.

3. iGav macrumors G3

I think specifically it's collectively called Defamation now, defamation is essentially the collective term for slander and libel.

If she's spreading untruths about you, get a solicitor and have a letter drawn up and sent to her. That usually works.

4. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Wouldn't that be defamation? She is saying stuff about you that's not true...

EDIT: Darn, beaten by iGav... anyways, hope it stops soon!