UK acts, the right to keep your life personal

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Paul Wright, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Paul Wright macrumors regular

Paul Wright

Aug 24, 2006
    Hey so i was wondering in the UK, what acts are there that state you have the right to keep your life personal? I was first of all thinking the data protection act of 1998 but its not really data so can some of you guys help me out.

I want to know what act would state that i have the right not to say what i do in my personal life... its just my ex girlfriend is spreading stuff about me and i just want to know what acts there are that will stop her from saying stuff about me, its just shes making up all sorts of stuff which i do in my spare time, which doesnt happen, im sorry if this doesnt make sense but all i really want to know if there is an act of the uk parliament that gives me the right to keep my life personal :confused:

Just to add, What i do in my personal life isn't illegal or anything i just want what i do to be personal
  2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

Jan 15, 2006
    The Kop
    Not too hot on the law but wouldn't slander cover this.
  3. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    I think specifically it's collectively called Defamation now, defamation is essentially the collective term for slander and libel.

If she's spreading untruths about you, get a solicitor and have a letter drawn up and sent to her. That usually works.
  4. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    Caracas, Venezuela
    Wouldn't that be defamation? She is saying stuff about you that's not true...

EDIT: Darn, beaten by iGav... anyways, hope it stops soon!