UK Advertising Board Rules for Apple in Dispute over Thinnest Smartphone

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 14, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

As noted by TechCrunch, the United Kingdom's Advertising Standards Authority has ruled in favor Apple in a dispute with Samsung over which manufacturer offers the world's thinnest smartphone. The dispute over which company could lay claim to the title for marketing purposes arose because of the Samsung Galaxy S II's form factor, which includes a sizable hump.
    Apple and Samsung are of course also locked in a series of much more important legal disputes centered around claims of patent and design infringement.

Article Link: UK Advertising Board Rules for Apple in Dispute over Thinnest Smartphone
  2. macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2011
    Seems a little arbitrary. Why not just average the thickness of the entire device, and use that?
  3. macrumors 68000

Apr 13, 2010
    Into the lungs of Hell
    Is that a joke?
  4. macrumors newbie

Aug 24, 2011
    Well the Board has a point. Still, it's amazing the amount of hardware and features they've managed to cram in that phone which debuted six months ago.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Mar 14, 2008
    Apple could make a tiny chin and say the iPhone is 1mm thick.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Oct 22, 2008
    New York
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

Seems silly that companies are fighting over this. I definitely wouldn't want a phone thinner than the iPhone 4 anyway... hopefully Apple doesn't get hung up on the "title" and castrate the next redesign. -_-
  7. macrumors 68040

Apr 10, 2008
    It's getting pretty ugly between these 2 companies now.
  8. macrumors regular

Aug 13, 2009
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ha. If next iPhone is in the same shell as iPhone 4 it won't be long till someone will beat the thickness.
  9. macrumors 68020

Dec 19, 2007
    i agree that it should be looked at the thickest points. those humps add thickness to the device. all measurements should be given that way.
  10. macrumors 6502a

Jan 17, 2011
    Seriously, this long standing bitch fight between these two companies is tiresome and childish.

Please - STOP
  11. macrumors 65816

Jun 20, 2009
    Lincoln, UK
    You measure the height of a car according to roof height, not bonnet height. It is the same with phones, measure to the thickest point.
  12. macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2010
    Almost Rock Solid
    My Humps

"My humps, my humps, my ugly Samsung humps..."
  13. macrumors 6502

Dec 25, 2007
    Thank god, I can finally rest easy tonight knowing which giant corporation produced the thinnest cell phone.
  14. macrumors regular

Jun 4, 2009
    Cambridge, England
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

The only way the iPhone could possibly become thinner would be to give it a larger footprint. Since the Android handset already has a larger footprint, they'd hardly be winning any design awards even if it WAS thinner. Apple are masters in compact design and have paved the way for other company's in reality. It's just a shame that many people scoff and say "Apple didn't create touch screen technology", or "hmm yeah, the phone was invented in 2007"... Because if it wasn't for Apple we would still have lagging interfaces like the Prada phone. They might not have invented the wheel, but they sure as hell perfected it.
  15. macrumors 6502

Aug 4, 2007
    Right? I mean, this is just silly.

Hah hah... I'm sorry... "bonnet" :D Anyway, yes, I think that what the companies are arguing when they talk thickness is how easily the device will slip in and out of a pocket. The thickest point - not the thinnest - determines this.

Hah hah... so obvious, yet still funny. And yeah, I much prefer the iPhone 4's monolithic styling to Samsung's humps. That's entirely just a personal preference, of course. If someone prefers Samsung's approach, then more power to them!
  16. macrumors 68020

Jun 27, 2009
    Miami, FL
    In this day and age of instant info across the whole world things can gain traction very quickly and, if untrue, create distortion.

Its not so far fetched any more to sue over these types of things.
  17. macrumors regular

Dec 12, 2009
    I agree. This is the same measure used to judge the tallest building in the world.
  18. macrumors 603

To me the takeaway of this and the other Samsung and Apple disputes is that Samsung is trying and actually doing, copycat products, form factors, marketing pitches, etc. Given their history of making copycat products without much blast-back, this whole Apple response on a variety of fronts must have them "flummoxed".

My preference is more battery not more thinnness, to the degree I keep begging for a BTO option on iOS devices.

19. macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Dec 12, 2002
    You mean like they do with the MacBook Air?
  20. macrumors 6502a

Aug 26, 2011
    It might by thinner, but then you have that ugly lump at the top of the phone. It should be taken into consideration when measuring.
  21. macrumors 603

Aug 2, 2002
    Cork, Ireland.
    Did Samsung complain to the ASA about this? The article doesn't say.

Reminds me of a similar case where Apple claimed the PowerMac G5 was the fastest PC in the world, and in that case they lost as it was the fastest in all but one test. That seems a bit petty, by comparison.
  22. macrumors member

Aug 21, 2007
    I really could give a flying flip about a few millimeters of thin. You know what would be really really great? Make it a few millimeters thicker and make the battery bigger! How nice would it be to have an iPhone that you could REALLY USE ALL DAY???

23. macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2011
    They should go by surface area and volume and math...or maybe that should be just for greece :cool:
  24. macrumors 604

Mar 26, 2008
    the galaxy s 2 is thinner than the iphone 4 tho :confused:
  25. macrumors regular

Sep 10, 2008
    Yet it keeps them in the news and people talking about them. Perhaps it's not as much childish as good marketing.