uk apple certifyed technician

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mord, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

dose anyone know how to become an apple cert in the uk as i'm interested in doing so.

what's the age limit? 16, 18

I know my way around ibook's g4's g5's powerbooks and cube's (never repaired an iMac)

i've replaced many logic bord's and can take a cube apart with my eye's closed so i'm compedent in my ability to tkae such a cource but i am unable to find any info for corses in the uk.

anyone know what the system is?

thanks

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I would imagine its the same or a very similar process as here in the US. Look on the Apple Online Store for something called the Apple Certification Kit. Buy that $299 US pricing and study it for a while. Then when your ready you have to schedule an exam. Apple goes through a testing company for the certification exams. Look on Apple's website for more information. I think its around the support section.

Here is a link to buy the Certification Kit in the UK:

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj...EBBP8Tqz2VgcxEPXmt2NAbl/2.5.0.5.14.1.5.1.13.0

The Kit is £209. Each test is $100 (US pricing). So you'll spend around $600 to $700 (US pricing) to become fully certified.

There are 3 different exams to become a fully certified Mac Technician. One for portables, another for desktops, and finally one for Mac OS X.

I've asked around and its not all about just knowing how to take apart these machines. You also have to be able to diagnose problems, and things like that. I guess some of it gets pretty in-depth during the exam.

I hope this helps...I'm also looking into getting AppleCare Certified. I would to work on Macs for a living!

3. AnotherMortal macrumors regular

I too am working on my cert. If you already work for an AASP (like at a college) then through GSX you will have access to training material without paying for it.

I however, have not taken any exams yet, so I can't say how useful the online info is vs. the training kit for $299.

Diag is definitely a big part, Apple doesn't like you wasting parts.

4. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

I'm genrally spot on with my diagnostics (for example I worked out that a wall streets L2 cache was dodgy)

i'll be getting a kit from apple as my sixth form is mean and horrible and wont pay for anything like that (uk)

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

i hope there isnt an age minimum...i'm 14 and i want to get apple certified...

as long as you can pay it shouldnt make a difference

6. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I think it's worth mentioning that proper spelling is very important. This is a general comment, not flamebait.

Dan