UK Apple refurb store selling all Powerbooks - 20%

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AlBDamned, Aug 31, 2005.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

On browsing, the UK Apple store has actually got more than just its usual few refurb Power Macs and Xserves for sale. Up for grabs are refurbished Powerbooks in all current models for a discount of 20%. This translates to about £300+ on some of them which is a hefty amount.

Go take a look if you're in the market for one and remember - it's only open today (Wednesday) until midnight!: Refurb Store

2. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Ahh. I was just about to post the same thing.

I've been watching the refurb store for weeks and all they ever have is X-serves and a couple of 1.8 PowerMacs.

Now today they have the whole range of Powerbooks and the dual 2.0 and 2.3 PowerMacs?

Seems a bit odd.

Could an update really be imminent then? :)

3. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Not sure, but there have been a fair few people (on here at least) with new Macs DOA. Maybe they finally got the parts in to fix them all. ;)

4. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

LOL Could be.

I'm just toying with the idea of getting a 15" and selling my 12" on ebay.

Wonder how much they go for nowadays... off to look. :)

Steve

5. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

My first attempt at buying a 15-incher could be one of them!

Second attempt much better...once I got a new PSU.

Those prices are pretty tempting....if I didn't have one already ;)

6. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

If the 'full price' sale of the 12" covers the cost (or there abouts) of the refurb 15", it has to be worth it, unless you really love the diminutive size of the smaller model. The 15" is superb and mine is my most prized possesion. Well worth the effort (though they may be gone unless you buy one today...?).

7. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Hmmm... I'd need to get about 850 for it to make it worth while. Mine is the 1.33GHz model and even with the 80Gb drive, superdrive and RAM upgrade, I don't think it'll make 850.

I do like the 12" machines small size but the 15" isn't all that much bigger/heavier so it was tempting. :)

8. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Yeah £850 may be pushing it but £800 may not be far off. Still be left with a couple of hundred pounds to stump up but it would be a decent upgrade.

9. dcv macrumors G3

Wow that's a very good deal.

Stop me now... I don't need another one!

10. bentley macrumors 6502

is Applecare transferable to another owner?

does that up resale value?

11. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I too keep getting the urge to press 'add to cart' even though I've got one already!

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Yes and yes ;)

And yes, I'm struggling to fight against an 'add to cart' urge too!

13. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    If I hadn't just spent the last 60 minutes espousing about how I love my iBook and I wouldn't exchange it for this or any other world…. That 'Add to Order' button is looking mighty friendly ….

14. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Jokes aside, this is pretty much unprecedented in recent months from what I can remember. It's almost like they've been saving them all up or just had not got round to fixing a load of them. If its a Wednesday and I remember (usually do), I check the refurb store just out of dangerous, wallet smashing curiosity, but even when it was open 7 days a week for a while they didn't have this sort of range going. It was usually just 2 or 3 different PMs and the Xserves as said above.

It doesn't say how many units of each are/were available today though. Could have been just one or two, but still...

15. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Yeah and if it's just a few, it seems a bit odd that they just happen to have one of every PB in the range (apart from the lower spec 12").

And as you say, I too check most Wednesdays and for a couple of months it's been pretty much static.

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The US store is doing it too.

They've got about 5x the usual number of refurbs for sale, representing Apple's entire line. Laptops all have hefty discounts, up to 27%. Some big deals on Cinema displays as well.

If you were looking to get a refurb, now seems to be a good time...Too bad Apple doesn't stock this much refurb stuff all the time.