UK Apple Store NUS Discounts

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dav1d, May 22, 2006.

1. dav1d macrumors newbie

Basically, can I walk into the Birmingham Apple store, show them my NUS card and buy the basic macbook for £643?

This is the price of the base spec model on the NUS apple site I am led to believe, so will they give me this price in person? If not, what price would they give me (and is the NUS card suitable student ID)?

2. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

If your NUS card is valid, yes i presume so.

3. skippy64 macrumors member

This to me is a grey area due to my daughter going to get a 15" MBP approx 10 days ago from the Manchester Store, who armed with a printout from the NUS site of the price but was informed it was a different price online to what the student instore discount is. She decided not to purchase and hold back for a few more days & then ring up Apple Education to see what info/price is correct. Since then she has been snowed under with revision & exams so hasn't rung yet so I too would be interested in any info anyone has about their own experiences.

Can you ring the Education line, pay over the phone & collect from your nearest store ? Does anyone know the answer to that one?
    TIA

4. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Yes if your NUS is valid you can do. I'm told you can even get in-store edu prices if you work at an establishment.. providing you have a pay slip or something.

5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

You can get in store 7% off for standard students with an NUS card, problem is that through the NUS store online you actually get far more off (over 12%) and this cannot be redeemed in store, to get this offer you need to access the apple store via NUSonline and order online....

SHadoW

6. garethh macrumors regular

Alternatively you can use the HE National Agreement Store without bothering with NUS at all. (Not a big fan of NUS!) You just click the link from the Apple Store UK page, but you have to access it from a computer with your university's network.

7. EricChunky macrumors regular

hmm... it has been discussed MANY times before.

Student card in store = 8% off every hardware

Online Higher Education store = 13 - 15% off depends on hardware

£649 is the Online Higher Education Store ONLY.

Com'on, if people can pick up a MacBook in local stores for that price, who will wait for a 10 day delivery from China?

besides, the 3-year warranty goodies only applies to online HE purchases

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

just order online, thats what i did, now the waiting game....

9. LastLine macrumors 65816

Yeah, they won't match the NUS/HE prices unfortunately. But by all means take a print out in and try if you're nearby, you might land lucky.

10. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

i can confirm that this is true for all apple stores in the UK

11. will0407 macrumors 6502a

NUS card

I posted a thread about UK prices vs US prices, and how I thought they were ridiculously different. Anyhow, someone suggested an NUS card (as i'm going to Uni in Sept06). I've got it registered and accessed the store, to find the price of the black macbook at ONLY £884, which is awesome.

I've heard someone mention that you get 3 years applecare warranty free if you purchase via NUS. Is this true?

Also, if I ring apple up, will I be able to set up a 0% inetrest payment over 6 months if I give them my my NUS number, or do you have to pay for the full amount online?

Any help is very much appreciated,
    will

12. Emperor macrumors newbie

Emperor

I went into the Regents st, London Apple store today to learn more about it (im a complete mac newbie) well 20mins 1 on 1 showing me the ropes of the osx. She asked if i was a student i said yes and i can get the 8% discount on the macbook by just showing the NUS card.

Just walk in talk to a helper and say your a student and show your card and you can get the student price of the product. Simple, just like a mac :)

13. garethh macrumors regular

But you don't get the higher level of discount!

14. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

yeah... the 8% discount isn't as good as your HE discount

15. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Mhm. I bought a 30" in an Apple store with NUS discount the other day @ 8% I think it was, plus some more on the AppleCare. I guess it all depends how patient you're prepared to be ;) Typically I'd order online using the HE store for the bigger discount. Stuff being cheaper online than instore is just a modern day reality.

16. Emperor macrumors newbie

Emperor

Oh i thought that was the Higher Education discount?
    What the percentage of the HE?

17. LastLine macrumors 65816

HE varies. Have a log in and look.

Or if you don't have access yet, let us know what you want to look at and I'm sure some of us who do can check it out for you.

18. Emperor macrumors newbie

Emperor

I dont know if Brunel or Roehampton has the access but the 2.0ghz Macbook pricing please if you dont mind :)

19. LastLine macrumors 65816

20. Emperor macrumors newbie

Emperor

Thanks ill definitly get the white one later on in summer i like the price of it just right :D

21. garethh macrumors regular

Have just checked and it seems they do.