Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evgenyy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Hi All, just wondering if anyone knows whether the iOS differs in Apple TV in UK and US and whether Netflix App is installed on both but is blocked in the UK or is it simply not present in the UK version?

The reason I am asking is because I have a netflix subscription and watch it via VPN on the PC and iPad and I have a US iTunes account. If I get Apple TV in the UK and run it through VPN and login with US iTunes account, would netflix just appear?

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Hi All, just wondering if anyone knows whether the iOS differs in Apple TV in UK and US and whether Netflix App is installed on both but is blocked in the UK or is it simply not present in the UK version?

The reason I am asking is because I have a netflix subscription and watch it via VPN on the PC and iPad and I have a US iTunes account. If I get Apple TV in the UK and run it through VPN and login with US iTunes account, would netflix just appear?

Reports from Australia suggest that logging into an US iTunes account is enough to make the Netflix appear. After that the VPN should work. (Though the Apple TV obviously doesn't have an accessible VPN client, so you'd need to run the VPN on a router or computer.)

This is more or less the expected behaviour; it would be surprising and un-Apple-like to have different firmwares for different territories (barring China and so on).

Evgenyy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Reports from Australia suggest that logging into an US iTunes account is enough to make the Netflix appear. After that the VPN should work. (Though the Apple TV obviously doesn't have an accessible VPN client, so you'd need to run the VPN on a router or computer.)

This is more or less the expected behaviour; it would be surprising and un-Apple-like to have different firmwares for different territories (barring China and so on).

Thanks for the response - that is great news indeed :D If only we had hulu app on ATV as well...

Router with DD-WRT for VPN is on its way :D

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Thanks for the response - that is great news indeed :D If only we had hulu app on ATV as well...

Router with DD-WRT for VPN is on its way :D

You are still going to need to set up a US Neflix account to get access to any content. Won't you need a US credit card and billing address?

RealEvil

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2007
You can use a service like Entropay to sign up to Netflix.

I did this for a month or so when I first got the iPad. Its worth noting the following however:

1. Netflix is £7.XX a month
2. a Good VPN is £3 - 4 a month

A Good VPN company like StrongVPN will still only give you around 2 - 4 MBit downloads on average. I have a pretty good 20Mb connection here and despite the Strong VPN assurances about speed, Netflix would buffer occasionally which (for me) ruined the experience.

Evgenyy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
You can use a service like Entropay to sign up to Netflix.

I did this for a month or so when I first got the iPad. Its worth noting the following however:

1. Netflix is £7.XX a month
2. a Good VPN is £3 - 4 a month

A Good VPN company like StrongVPN will still only give you around 2 - 4 MBit downloads on average. I have a pretty good 20Mb connection here and despite the Strong VPN assurances about speed, Netflix would buffer occasionally which (for me) ruined the experience.

Indeed, Entropay is what I use and it goes through fine.

How is the quality of Neflix on StrongVPN? Do they give you a unique IP address? I found that using another VPN my Netflix quality suffers as Netflix registers many users coming from the same IP address and throttle the stream, hence I am looking for a better VPN provider. I can live with occasional buffering but not with the quality that looks like 320x240 video encoded 10 years ago. I think that might have been your problem also with StrongVPN and buffering.

Thank god Hulu works perfect for me on high quality with no buffering.

ibookster

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2004
Indeed, Entropay is what I use and it goes through fine.

How is the quality of Neflix on StrongVPN? Do they give you a unique IP address? I found that using another VPN my Netflix quality suffers as Netflix registers many users coming from the same IP address and throttle the stream, hence I am looking for a better VPN provider. I can live with occasional buffering but not with the quality that looks like 320x240 video encoded 10 years ago. I think that might have been your problem also with StrongVPN and buffering.

Thank god Hulu works perfect for me on high quality with no buffering.

Personally I can not really compare to the quality without VPN as I live in Denmark and have always used Strong VPN, but I think the quality is very acceptable. Sure it is not like a iTunes HD rental but still very well worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.