UK Bargain Alert !

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrfrosty, Oct 14, 2006.

1. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

Hi,

Just to let you all know Toys R Us are selling off Mac Mini Core Solo's off for £299. The are on www.toysrus.co.uk and in the stores. I popped out last night and picked one up. I also have G5 iMac Rev C........So far i think the mac mini is a touch faster for surfin / email e.t.c which is very much of a nice suprise !!

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Hehe that's pretty cool! If I hadn't spent out on RAM I'd be very tempted to pick one up... just because.

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Wow! Good find! You could probably get a decent Core 2 Duo chip for about £100 giving you a machine for £399 (the cost of the Core Duo from Apple) which has much better performance! Nice.

4. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Good find mate, I am seriously tempted to pick one up as a second computer, with the remote bundled they make for a great little media box,

SHadoW

5. seanf macrumors 6502

Just ordered one. I've been planning on buying my neices a Mini between them for Christmas and this is absolutely perfect for them (and my wallet!). Thank you very much MrFrosty.

Sean :)

6. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Ughhh MY GOD!!!
    I like just bought a ipod nano and got loads of accesiors, if i hadnt of done so, I would be on my way to owning my first ever mac

edit: Anyone want to lend me £299?
    And also how long will this be up there for? anyone know?

7. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

for some reason i want to buy this even though i have no need for it lol

8. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Ive been looking for one just as a media box to store DVDs, CDs etc on so i am tempted. Nice find.

9. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I've got that feeling too...

Must. Resist. Temptation.

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

You're basically saving VAT. Is that really worth getting excited over for something that's basically obsolete? I don't mean to be a bummer but you know, just wondering out aloud.

11. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

12. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Apple are selling refurbished versions of the Core Solo Mini for £309 so thats a good price really.

13. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Obsolete?

I beg to differ. The Core Solo Mini is still performing as good as when it was released and should be enough for what normal people would use the Mac Mini for (browsing, email, light photo-editing and video-editing as well).

The cheapest Mac Mini is selling for £424 (granted, the updated Mac Mini with Core Duo) in Denmark, so I find it an exceptional bargain.

What makes it obsolete in your eyes? Because something faster out there exist? If that's the case, shouldn't every computer sans the Mac Pro be obsolete? ;)

That's a nice computer in a small package and still better than what the majority of users actually have!

14. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

That's a good deal! Thanks for the heads-up mrfrosty!

15. seanf macrumors 6502

No, I'm saving VAT plus £31 (based on Apple's cheapest Mini) on a computer that will more than suit the needs of the people I'm buying it for. If this offer doesn't suit you then that's fine, there's no reason to criticize others.

Sean :)

16. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I want this as a computer to connect to my TV and stream movies wirelessly from my Mac Pro. Will the core solo mini with 512MB RAM be suitable for this?

17. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

18. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Quick... somone justify why I need one when I have a PMG5 and a MB!!! :eek:

Keep it short, im driving there now! :D

19. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Dang, it does seem they're all gone.

Phew, saved myself from fighting temptation!

To the people using them as media servers, do they really make good media servers? They only have s-video out, which isn't all that good.

I currently use an x-box with XBMC as a media server, only cost me £70 last month with everything installed, and it has HDMI output. (runs media off my G3 powermac server in the attic.)

Has anyone seen macbooks in the Apple UK refurb, and what discount is normal on them?