UK beach gets wireless web

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Jul 16, 2003.

1. macrumors G3

Very kewl... I used to work on this beach when I got fed up being stuck in the office in London.... and now you can get a net connection from it!! wicked!!

linky dink...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3068915.stm

or full article below...

2. macrumors 68000

pivo6

That's cool. I'm for more access to Wi-Fi in public areas, and it's great to see that there are people willig to make it happen.

3. thread starter macrumors G3

If I was using it, I'd be donating to the cause, it's such a cool idea!! I hope they can keep it going, and that relies alittle on people that use it, not to take the mick and donate something, no matter how small! it all goes in the kitty!!

But what really surprises me is that there's not more of this type of stuff happening in London, all the squares in the west end would be ripe for this kind of deployment...

4. macrumors 68040

tazo

That is a really cool idea, I suppose its sort of like that SanFran organization that is setting up wifi chains all over the city. I heard abotu something like that on TSS at one point.

Anyway those lucky UK sunbathers :)

5. thread starter macrumors G3

condensed into 7 days...

Apple would need to make a Rain-proof PowerBook to fully make use of this Wi-Fi location, particularly in the UK's 'Rainy Season' that is usually between May and September every year!! heh-heh!

6. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The rainy season is year-round. Horrible, horrible weather. ;)

And I don't understand why ISP's would give away internet access when that is exactly what they sell for money? Without money, they'll go out of business. I understand that some people will donate money, but I wonder how much that would cover?

7. macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Re: UK beach gets wireless web

The REAL problem, is, of course, there's NO SAND at Brighton - just lots and lots of uncomfortable pebbles...

That ain't no beach. It's a gravel pit next to water.

:)

8. thread starter macrumors G3

Re: Re: UK beach gets wireless web

It's not the pebbles that are the problem, it's the hypodermic needles and used condoms that you should worry about!!

That's of course if you ain't set on fire by the arsonists first!! heh-heh!! :p :p :p

9. macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I wonder if they got rid of all that broken glass that was left over from last summer when Fat Boy Slim played on the beach?

...Such a nice place to take kids...

:rolleyes:

10. thread starter macrumors G3

It's not the cleanest of beaches at the best of times, and some of the stuff that people get up to on there in the middle of the day, is iffy to say the least!! :rolleyes: :eek: :p

11. macrumors 68040

mactastic

Usually when I go to the beach, I've got better things to do than check email, or *gasp* even MacRumors! But since my back deck, with AE reception, is only about 2 blocks up from the beach I can see why people would enjoy getting out there. I wonder if I could get reception from my AE down there... I'd need one of those special pringles can's for sure, but I might have internet access at the beach already!